Can I successfully balance engineering and pre-med classes?

• Thread starter Edin_Dzeko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noob
In summary, the conversation covers the topic of starting college in the fall with a major in bio and a minor in engineering as a backup plan for medical school. The question of the job market for engineers with just a 4-year degree is raised, as well as the challenge of balancing pre-med classes with engineering classes. The individual also expresses a desire to just read and study, but struggles with motivation. Other topics discussed include the atmosphere of competition in high school and the desire to focus on learning rather than grades in college, studying textbooks without a teacher, and the importance of math and science for medical school. The conversation also touches on the idea of a minor in engineering not being enough to work as an engineer and the competitive nature of getting into medical
Edin_Dzeko
Hey gang.

I'm going to start college this fall. My major's Bio but I want to take up a minor in engineering as my fall back plan for med school. Is it easy to get a job with just 4 year of college with engineering?? I hear it's a really tough field, can I handle the challenge of pre-med classes on top of engineering?? I like electronics and it's really cool. Even if engineering is too tough what about computer programming?? can you get a job with that??

Second, I have the desire to just say "f it" to everything and everyone and just read books and study. It's what I "want" to do. I like to learn but I don't like the school system. It's all competiton based and no learning actually takes place. But I lack motivation and will power. The desire is there but just lacking motivation. Ne suggestions? How do you break the shackles of lazyness and devote all your time to studying?? Before I registered, I read some post from a forumer who goes by the name Mathboy, man, that guy's the man :approve:.

I'm hoping to get a really good reading speed and build a solid foundation of Algebra and Geomtry and Trig 'cause those are the concepts to most maths. The majority of the math's build on them. I don't think I'm a naturally smart kid, I"m the type that got to study (I could be wrong). but math and science are not my best fields. And to become a doc, they are crucial. Help??

Physics news on Phys.org
You might enjoy college once you're actually in it. I can't speak for bio majors or engineering... or other schools for that matter. But at my university in the physics department, the focus is more on learning and collaboration rather than competition.

I go to a large state university with a tiny physics department. Perhaps the relative size of our department brings us closer together, but it's a very good atmosphere.

Coming from someone who was, since she was like, 3, was going to be a surgeon. (Got shaky hands bad- a genetic condition, so I couldn't) Now I'm going to go for computer and software engineering.
Having both of those courses piled together will be extremely tough. Especially if you're the kind that has to study. (I'm the kind that never studies and still knows more than everyone else in class)
And I also lack motivation. I hear ya. :frown:

It's just that in high school everything's all competition based(atleast my school in particular and how I see it). Who gets the highets grades who gets this who gets that. I don't really like competition. School would be so much better if you weren't doing things for the sake of getting some grade(s). I really do look forward to college though. I do think I'll have a great time.

@GreatEscapist - I do plan on spending quite a great deal of time studying. I don't really got nothing else better to do with my time.

Also for those of you who teach yourselves, I have a Psychology, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry and Biology textbook(s). How do I study these (I'm studying on my own **no teacher(s)). Should I do it one book at a time or for instance Psychology & Algebra then Biology & Trigonometry?? (not that the order matters) but I want to know should I study this book 3 days then the other the following 3 days and do that 'til I'm done with the books?? Or today spend this amount of hours on this book then this amount of hours on that book. And do that for the whole week??

You'd have to be extremely dedicated in order to make it work.

Okay, wait. How far in math have you gotten?

Edin_Dzeko said:
math and science are not my best fields. And to become a doc, they are crucial. Help??

Just an FYI, math is not crucial to become a medical doctor. My sister, who finished med school a year or so ago, said taking an intro stats class would have fulfilled her math requirement as an undergrad, although I believe she did have credit for Calc I from high school. Being good at science is critical though...

If you work hard at it, a weakness can become a strength.

Regarding motivation, you might want to consider seeing a doctor in case your lack of motivation is a symptom of another problem. Also, adderall will increase your motivation... are you ADHD?

Regarding an engineering minor I don't think you having a minor in engineering you would really get too much. So much of engineering is those first 2 years of prerequisite, Calc 1,2,3, DiffEqu, Chem 1 & 2, Physics 1 & 2. After that you could take Statics or Circuits or Thermodynamics, etc. If that stuff really interests you go for it but I don't think you could sell yourself to an employer as an engineer. I know at my university only engineering students can get a minor in engineering field (computer, electrical, materials, nuclear) because so my prerequisites are required.

If your goal is to make it into medical school, I've got some news for you. Competition is the name of the game. Unfortunately, that's what it comes down to.

Also, minoring in engineering, if you can do it at all, is generally not going to prepare you to work as an engineer, although it may help you to work with engineers, if that's something that you want to do.

There's no great secret to curing laziness. It all comes down to self-discipline.

Choppy said:
If your goal is to make it into medical school, I've got some news for you. Competition is the name of the game. Unfortunately, that's what it comes down to.

MCATs are awful tests...

I'm just going to do it as if it's not a competition at all. Ex, just focus on the material. I won't go around asking people about their grades and I won't tell 'em about mine. Don't really see the competitional aspect of it though. Just meet the standards the school you want to go to has. No biggie. There are plenty of ways to shine (GPA, MCAT, volunteer stuff and the interview). I just don't want to do it to say "I got higher than you" I want to just focus on working and take my mind of the grades and competition.

I don't really go outside I'm inside most of the time and I have the desire to study just need that little push. I'm not really far in math. I think I lack the basics which slows me down a bit. Currently as a high school senior I'm taking honors pre-calc. I had an 85 'til I recently adapted a lifestyle of eat, sleep, repeat. So I've been slacking off. But even before when I had the 85, I wasn't really studying. And I don't find the material difficult it's just annoying. Generally I understand the work...when I pay attention. But I don't review outside of class.
I did really bad on my SAT's 'cause I'm not that solid with basic math. Things like decimals to percents and vice versa. I suck real bad at Geometry. I need to study.

So based on what you guys are saying, engineering as a minor isn't a good idea? I'll have to go on to graduate school in order to make anything serious of it?? I was hoping for something in engineering that I could do for 4 years of college and make close or more to the wages of a nursing degree. Just as a fall back plan for med school.

Edin_Dzeko said:
So based on what you guys are saying, engineering as a minor isn't a good idea? I'll have to go on to graduate school in order to make anything serious of it??

Isn't there a huge middle-ground you're missing?

I don't really know.

To answer what I think is your question, engineering as a minor might not get you a job as an engineer. Particularly if you were focused on bio and med-school throughout your undergrad and don't have any engineering internships or research. However, having an engineering minor might help you get a job elsewhere, I suppose is shows that you have some expertise outside of your degree field.

Also, you asked if 4 years of college with engineering will get you a good job. If you're planning on studyiong both bio and engineering, you'll probably be in school for more than 4 years. I realize you just want a minor in engineering, but its still a lot of additional work on top of an already difficult degree.

As an afterthought, maybe you could do engineering and med school. Have you ever considered majoring in Chemical, Biomechanical, or biosystems engineering and then going on to med school after that? I have a friend whose a ChemE and he's planning on going to med school. That way, if the med school thing doesn't work out, you major is still in engineering.

The prob is, when I was doing my college apps I put down Bio as my major. Then I found out you can get into med school with ANY major you just need to take the pre-reqs. So that was a bummer. Now I'm in a situation where I'm looking for a minor that I can use as a fall back plan for med. I'm not a fan of the whole "enjoy what you do for a living" thing. So long as it's not illegal or violating you in anyway(physical, religious and so on) as long as it put foods on the table, pays rent, clothes on your back and offers free time for you to chill out with friends outside of work, I don't mind. And the demand for workers has to be high 'cause I'm a minority. Some fields it's not easy to get a job.

-------------------

About the studying thing. I sat down and tried to study today but I after about 2 mins of reading I couldn't really keep my mind on the material I was reading and I couldn't focus. But I guess it's 'cause I'm not used to doing it often. If I keep it up things will get better. Also another thing that got in the way was I kept thinking maybe I should be working on the math 'cause it's my weak area. So I guess I need a study plan. Ne tips?? help??

Edin_Dzeko said:
Don't really see the competitional aspect of it though. Just meet the standards the school you want to go to has. No biggie. There are plenty of ways to shine (GPA, MCAT, volunteer stuff and the interview).

About that - medical school (and graduate school and other professional schools) have a competative applications process. It's not just a case of meed the standards. The schools have only a limited number of positions, and far more people apply (who meet the standards) than get in. Unfortunately it becomes a very competative game - to the point where smart people will enroll in basket weaving degrees just to have the highest GPAs possible.

The other thing is that just because you've enrolled in a particular major doesn't mean you can't change. It might take some work, but if you don't like the direction you're moving in, it's not that difficult to change it - especially at your stage where you haven't even finished high school yet.

With respect to studying, I find that what helps for learning on your own is not to try to plow your way through course material. Rather, find some problems or projects that interest you, and learn what you need to pursue those.

Edin_Dzeko said:
The prob is, when I was doing my college apps I put down Bio as my major. Then I found out you can get into med school with ANY major you just need to take the pre-reqs. So that was a bummer. Now I'm in a situation where I'm looking for a minor that I can use as a fall back plan for med.

Many students change their major multiple times during their undergrad. Trust me, at your age, there's no reason why you can't change your major.

Edin_Dzeko said:
I'm not a fan of the whole "enjoy what you do for a living" thing. So long as it's not illegal or violating you in anyway(physical, religious and so on) as long as it put foods on the table, pays rent, clothes on your back and offers free time for you to chill out with friends outside of work, I don't mind.

What are you a fan of then? Doing something you hate for a living? I will admit, sometimes people just need a job that will pay the bills, but this is not the proper thinking when selecting a career field.

Edin_Dzeko said:
About the studying thing. I sat down and tried to study today but I after about 2 mins of reading I couldn't really keep my mind on the material I was reading and I couldn't focus. But I guess it's 'cause I'm not used to doing it often. If I keep it up things will get better. Also another thing that got in the way was I kept thinking maybe I should be working on the math 'cause it's my weak area. So I guess I need a study plan. Ne tips?? help??

I can't study by just reading material either, I can never remember anything straight from the book. Particularly in math and sciences, I learn a lot better by doing example problems. So my advice, don't just read, do problems, find the info you need in the book that relate to the problems. And back to the whole enjoy what you do thing. I realize you can't always pick what you have to learn, but its a heck of a lot easier to study something that you're interested in learning.

Hope all that helps at least a little. Good luck!

Not to be naive or anything but, even if you don't enjoy what you do for a living atleast it pays your bills and gives you your necessities. It's not like you're going to live at work. Just go for a few ours make your cash and go home. Think about people who get fixed in arranged marriages. They may not love each other but they still live together and make the marriage work. As time goes on they can develop feelings for each other. Plus it's really just a back up plan. My main goal is med school. I just want a back up outside the medical field.

As for the studying thing, I wasn't studying math. I was studying Psychology. I want to build my vocab, increase my reading speed and even improve my writing. Also in the process I'll learn about the mind and hopefully find a cure for my motivation issue. I'm aware that for math you have to practice problems over and over. I wasn't working on the math though.

1. Can I balance engineering and pre-med classes without sacrificing my grades?

Yes, it is possible to balance both engineering and pre-med classes while maintaining good grades. It requires strong time management skills and prioritization of tasks. It may also be helpful to seek academic support or tutoring if needed.

2. Will balancing both engineering and pre-med classes be too overwhelming?

It is natural to feel overwhelmed when taking on a heavy course load, but with proper planning and organization, it is possible to successfully balance both engineering and pre-med classes. It may also be helpful to have a support system in place, such as friends, family, or academic advisors.

3. How can I manage my time effectively while juggling engineering and pre-med classes?

One effective way to manage time is to create a schedule or daily planner that outlines your tasks and deadlines for each class. It is also important to prioritize tasks and allocate enough time for studying and completing assignments for both classes.

4. Are there any specific study techniques that can help me succeed in both engineering and pre-med classes?

Some recommended study techniques include active learning, such as participating in class discussions and asking questions, taking organized and detailed notes, and regularly reviewing material. It may also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to review and discuss course material.

5. Will taking engineering and pre-med classes simultaneously give me an advantage in the future?

Yes, taking both engineering and pre-med classes can give you a competitive edge in the future, as it shows your ability to handle a rigorous and diverse course load. It also allows you to develop a well-rounded skill set that can be beneficial in various fields and industries.