Why does diarrhea burn when it leaves?

• Medical
  • Thread starter caljuice
  • Start date
In summary, my friend said that the burning is because of stomach acid not being properly neutralized and you have to wipe so much more. He also said that if it was the acid it would cause more much damage to the intestine. He said that the science behind the burning is because of digestive enzymes attacking soft tissue. He also said that food spiced with chillies can cause diarrhoea and the active ingredient that causes the sensation of heat(is it capsicum?)can burn on the way out as well as on the way in. He also said that capsaicin. He also said that if you have diarrhea, you're likely to be excreting quite a bit, in bouts between which you clean yourself.
caljuice
I was discussing this with my friend about this. He said it's because of stomach acid not being properly neutralized causing the burning. I said it's because of undigested food chemicals or something and you have to wipe so much more. I thought if it was the acid it would cause more much damage to the intestine? So what's the science behind the burning?

Biology news on Phys.org
1. chemistry: digestive enzymes attacking soft tissue (usually they're all done by the time they come out with normal digestion, but they're still doing their work with diarrhea)

2. physics: water is abrasive; high water content is more agitating. It's also often carrying half-digested chunks of food which can be abrasive too.

Food spiced with chillies can cause diarrhoea and the active ingredient that causes the sensation of heat(is it capsicum?)can burn on the way out as well as on the way in,I think.

Dadface said:
(is it capsicum?)
Capsaicin.

I'd add... if you have diarrhea, you're likely to be excreting quite a bit, in bouts between which you clean yourself. There is mechanical abrasion involved there, and the cramping that is often related to the 'pooping' can also cause very small tears in the rectum which is pretty sensitive.

It shouldn't concern you on its own.

Use baby wipes, very gently.

ormondotvos said:
Use baby wipes, very gently.

I'd add, a 50-50 Witch Hazel and water solution is also very helpful, but it WILL sting like the devil at first, then sooth in the long run.

Long run... heh.

that remind me of a postpartum remedy aptly dubbed a "crotchicle" wherein witch hazel is used.

I'll bite.

What's the punchline ?

Me? No punchline. It's basically a flow pad dipped in a witch hazel solution and frozen for pain relief after the huge stress of giving birth.

Pythagorean said:
Me? No punchline. It's basically a flow pad dipped in a witch hazel solution and frozen for pain relief after the huge stress of giving birth.

Yep... birthing is soooo not as pretty and lovely as some seem to think. Still, Witch Hazel... great stuff in a pinch for a numer of uses... albeit the one you describe is probably my least favorite to contemplate. :wink:

Isaacsname said:
I'll bite.

What's the punchline ?

How hard did you wish that there was a punchline? :rofl:

I remember learning about how to place a chest-tube... I also wondered what the punchline was... turns out that's not funny either. "Just stick it through the intercostal space, HARD..." is NOT comforting.

birth is magnificently wonderful

Pythagorean said:
birth is magnificently wonderful

The prelude is magical, the aftermath spectacular, the process is really just a mess IMO.

1. Why does diarrhea burn when it leaves?

Diarrhea can cause a burning sensation when it leaves the body due to the high acidity levels of stomach acid and bile that are present in the stool. These substances can irritate the sensitive skin around the anus, causing a burning sensation.

2. Does the type of food I eat affect the burning sensation of diarrhea?

Yes, certain foods can increase the acidity levels in your stool, making it more likely to cause a burning sensation when it passes through the anus. Spicy and greasy foods are known to be common triggers for this discomfort.

3. Is it normal to experience burning with every episode of diarrhea?

No, it is not normal to experience burning with every episode of diarrhea. If this is a recurring issue, it is important to consult a doctor as it could be a sign of an underlying digestive issue.

4. Can diarrhea burning be prevented?

Yes, you can take steps to prevent diarrhea burning by avoiding trigger foods, staying hydrated, and practicing good hygiene. It is also important to treat any underlying digestive issues that may be causing the diarrhea.

5. Should I seek medical attention for burning diarrhea?

If the burning sensation is severe, lasts for an extended period of time, or is accompanied by other symptoms such as blood in the stool, it is important to seek medical attention as it could be a sign of a more serious condition.