Theoretical physics/Quant on side

• Physics
  • Thread starter LBloom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theoretical
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a job that allows for both work in a company or agency and time for personal research. The speaker mentions that this setup is not common in the field of physics due to the demanding nature of research. They also mention their own strategy of staying connected to research while working and planning to retire early in order to focus on research full-time. The idea of a half-time job with half-salary is also mentioned, but the speaker notes that such positions are not easily found.
LBloom
Hi guys,

So I'm an undergrad, planning on going to graduate school in (probably) some form of theoretical physics (particle or cmt, not sure yet). Recently I watched a video of an interview of James Simon and CN Yang (its an interesting video, I recommend it) and at one point James Simon mentioned that before he started his finance company he worked for the government as a code cracker (NSA I believe) where he worked half the time on the code cracking and the other half on his own math research.

My question is, is there any set up like that today that you guys know of i.e. a job where you do some work for a company or agency like code cracking or quantitative finance and you are also given time to do your own research?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
LBloom said:
My question is, is there any set up like that today that you guys know of i.e. a job where you do some work for a company or agency like code cracking or quantitative finance and you are also given time to do your own research?

I haven't been able to do it. The problem is that physics research is a full time job, and I don't have the time and energy to pull two full time jobs and then raise a family.

Right now what I'm trying to do is to keep myself in touch with the research so that when I retire (and I may be able to retire very early), I'll be able to move back to full time research.

One curious thing is that you'd think that you'd be able to find a job that is half-time with half-salary, but those don't really exist.

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems, without necessarily relying on direct experimentation. It deals with abstract concepts and theories, rather than tangible observations.

2. How is theoretical physics different from experimental physics?

The main difference between theoretical physics and experimental physics is that theoretical physics focuses on developing and testing theories and models, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments and making direct observations to test and validate theories.

3. What is the role of mathematics in theoretical physics?

Mathematics is a fundamental tool in theoretical physics, as it provides the language and framework for describing and understanding physical phenomena. Theoretical physicists use advanced mathematical concepts and equations to develop theories and make predictions about the behavior of the universe.

4. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of theoretical physics that deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It describes the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries such as quantum entanglement and the uncertainty principle.

5. How does theoretical physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Theoretical physics plays a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the universe by providing theoretical frameworks and models that explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also helps to bridge the gap between different areas of physics and provides a foundation for further experimental research.