Help with Experiment of Capturing soot with steam

In summary: This allows for easier suction for the gas ejector. In summary, the OP is trying to use a steam generator to convert soot+steam to water+steam. He is worried about soot dying, and has other concerns about the system.
Mohiden
Hi
I'm doing an experiment to capture exhaust pipe's soot with steam. You can see in the attachment file the experiment design.
So the problem is that using STEAM HEAT EXCHANGER (is it good??) in order to convert soot+steam to water+steam.
What I've planed is that when the soot+steam gose into the heat exhnager, I take it and put it inside a bucket of water. Then evaporate the water and i will be left of with soot. But what I'm worried about is that soot might die. Because I'm going to measure the soot sample with TEM machine.

And the other idea was using a fan in order to cold down the heat exchanger. so it transfers steam into water. But the heat exchanger that I've got is not in good condition.
If you have any other suggestions please mention it.

thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-14 at 11.04.49.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-14 at 11.04.49.png
    14 KB · Views: 437
Engineering news on Phys.org
As an aside, have you considered the fact that adding things in your exhaust line will affect the backpressure upstream and likely reduce engine efficiency?

I don't understand the system given in the OP or how it's supposed to work but I would like to ask a question.Steam is one of the exhaust gases so why is an additional steam generator necessary?

Last edited:
Travis_King said:
As an aside, have you considered the fact that adding things in your exhaust line will affect the backpressure upstream and likely reduce engine efficiency?

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't consider it and I have to ignore it. Because what i want is only sampling the soot in different speeds with different loads. Then i will use these samples to measure and see how formed the exhaust gas particulate emissions by using X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS), Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) and Scanning electron microscope (SEM). Therefore, adding things in my exhaust line won't be a problem. I'm looking for particulate matters.

Dadface said:
I don't understand the system given in the OP or how it's supposed to work but I would like to ask a question.Steam is one of the exhaust gases so why is an additional steam generator necessary?

Thanks for reply.

Basically the additional steam will make the soot sampling easier in a certain time.

The OP is :

Firstly the compressed air (4 bar - high pressure) gose into the ejector. This will help the ejector to suck the exhaust gas (low pressure).
The gases are coming out from post and pre catalyst and it will be controlled by the valves. Because I'm trying to sample the soots from each one. Post catalyst has ( high temperature) and pre catalyst has ( low temperature); then i will compare the emissions from each one by measuring them.
So from the other end of the ejector the gas comes out with low pressure and high velocity. The gas will be mixed with steam within the pipe. Then it will go toward the heat exchanger. In the heath exchanger the steam will be transfer to water. As a result we will get soot+water. Then we can heat up the water, so we can get the soot sample. BUT this is the part of the system which I'm not sure about it, wether it works or no.

If the ejector is pressurized with compressed air (4 Bar) how will it suck exhuaust gas which is at lower pressure.
can you define the motive of this process. i mean is it for experimental purpose or are you trying to modify some existing operation. because steam generation could be a constraint for the process.

Ainul Hassan ,

Firstly I'm doing this for an experimental purpose for my project.

Secondly,
There are three connections for the gas ejector.
1-One for the high pressure gas, one for the gas sucked in (or entrained) and one
for the discharge.
2-The gas entrained comes in at the side.
3-There is a nozzle for converting the pressure energy of the high pressure fluid into kinetic energy. Therefore, this change will help for sucking the gas.

The suction point is between the nozzle and diffuser.
The diffuser is located after the nozzle which is mainly designed to mix the two incoming streams.

So basically what ejector does is uses a high pressure fluid to compress low pressure fluid to an intermediate pressure.

1. How does capturing soot with steam work?

Capturing soot with steam involves using water vapor to cool and condense the exhaust gases from a combustion process. This causes the soot particles to stick to the water droplets, making them easier to capture and remove.

2. What equipment is needed for this experiment?

The equipment needed for this experiment includes a combustion chamber, a steam generator, a cooling system, and a collection device for the captured soot.

3. What are the potential benefits of capturing soot with steam?

Capturing soot with steam can reduce air pollution and improve air quality. It can also help reduce the amount of particulate matter and toxic chemicals released into the environment.

4. Are there any limitations to this method?

One limitation of capturing soot with steam is that it may not be effective for capturing all types of soot particles. Additionally, the captured soot may need to be treated before it can be safely disposed of.

5. How can the effectiveness of this method be measured?

The effectiveness of capturing soot with steam can be measured by analyzing the amount of soot captured and comparing it to the amount that would have been released without using this method. Air quality monitoring can also be used to measure the reduction in particulate matter in the surrounding area.