Maximizing Study Time: Tips for Nailing Science Exams in High School

• Thread starter Tommy1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, Tommy1995 studied for his biology exam by writing out heaps of notes, but many of his peers barely studied and they aced it. Tommy recommends reviewing course notes and doing practice questions, learning theory then applying it.
Tommy1995
So I'm currently in my last year of high school and I just completed my biology exam and I did quite poorly in it.. But the thing is I studied really hard for it, spent like an hour and a half every day before the exam (2 weeks). The way that I studied for that test however was by writing out heaps of notes. I pretty much kept repeating a constant cycle of writing the same thing over and over again... However, many of my other peers barely studied that much for the exam and they aced it.

So how do you guys study for science and how useful is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
sounds like you just had a bad test, happens to everyone. I usually review course notes and then work as many problems that I can find solutions for (this obviously doesn't apply to biology).

Well, you know the difference between ''quasi knowing'' and really knowing the material stone cold? A's reflect knowing the material stone cold, where the rate determining step to answering a question is writing down your answer.

Tommy1995, check out Cal Newport's books.

tahayassen said:
Tommy1995, check out Cal Newport's books.

Hmm just looked at the reviews... seems useful but I can't find it in any of my libraries or book stores, not even sydney university library has it LOL, you rekkon you could gimme a brief summary of his guide? :D

Just read Cal Newport's blog. I didn't find anything in his books that differed significantly from his blog material.

I've never taken a serious biology class before, but I know that for physics and math you really just need to do a ton of problems. I've seen lots of people try to sell special techniques and "hacks," and these can work, but if you haven't done the work you can't truly expect to know the material.

Just read the textbook then make detailed notes like these http://www.mediafire.com/view/?yc1y3ja4p43tmfk
My physics teacher convinced me to drop biology though, he believes that bio isn't a real science, only physics is haha and i never enjoyed bio tbh
anyway, i find this to be the best way to study science, get ur syllabus, make detailed notes like in the link, then do practice question. Learn the theory then apply it, basically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Synchronised said:
bio isn't a real science, only physics is

Damn straight holmes!~
daaaammn straight.

Tommy1995 said:
Synchronised said:
My physics teacher convinced me to drop biology though, he believes that bio isn't a real science, only physics is...
Damn straight holmes!~
daaaammn straight.

Seriously? Biologists just make it up as they go along, right? :uhh:

My advice is to disregard egotistical rubbish. It's unbecoming of an educator, especially in science.

How to study (from a physics and mathematics perspective):

- Consider the homework the bare minimum. You should work as many problems from relevant sections as you have time for. I'd spend at least an hour a night working problems from the current section being studied.

- Take the mistakes you make on homework and exams to a TA or professor and have them show you where you went wrong if you weren't able to figure it out for yourself. Then go to the corresponding sections in your textbook and work relevant problems, again.

Last edited:
Synchronised said:
Just read the textbook then make detailed notes like these http://www.mediafire.com/view/?yc1y3ja4p43tmfk
My physics teacher convinced me to drop biology though, he believes that bio isn't a real science, only physics is haha and i never enjoyed bio tbh
anyway, i find this to be the best way to study science, get ur syllabus, make detailed notes like in the link, then do practice question. Learn the theory then apply it, basically.

Considering that biophysics is one of the most active fields of physics research at the moment. I think you should stop listening to your teacher. A good quantitative biology course should be a requirement for any science degree.

Dembadon said:
Seriously? Biologists just make it up as they go along, right? :uhh:

My advice is to disregard egotistical rubbish. It's unbecoming of an educator, especially in science.

bp_psy said:
Considering that biophysics is one of the most active fields of physics research at the . I think you should stop listening to your teacher. A good quantitative biology course should be a requirement for any science degree.

Very true! Biology is as much of science than physics. It may very well be that you don't like biology very much. But to say that it is not as much of a science as physics is rubbish. I am appalled that a teacher makes such statements!

My biology teacher and physics teacher have these kinds of discussion all the time :)

Synchronised said:

For some reason, I think your physics teacher is joking.

1. How can I effectively manage my time while studying for science exams?

One way to effectively manage your time while studying is to create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you cover all the necessary material. You can also break up your study sessions into smaller chunks and take breaks in between to avoid burnout.

2. What are some tips for staying focused while studying for science exams?

Some tips for staying focused include finding a quiet and comfortable study space, eliminating distractions such as your phone or social media, and setting specific goals for each study session. It can also be helpful to use mnemonic devices or study with a partner to keep yourself engaged.

3. How can I make the most out of my study materials for science exams?

To make the most out of your study materials, it's important to actively engage with them. This can include taking notes, creating flashcards, or summarizing information in your own words. You can also try teaching the material to someone else to solidify your understanding.

4. Are there any specific study techniques that work well for science exams?

Different study techniques work for different people, but some popular ones for science exams include using diagrams and visuals to understand complex concepts, practicing with past exams or practice questions, and creating concept maps to connect different ideas together.

5. How can I retain information better while studying for science exams?

Retaining information while studying can be aided by using active learning techniques, such as quizzing yourself or creating practice tests. It can also be helpful to review and reinforce material regularly, rather than cramming it all in one sitting. Additionally, getting enough rest and staying hydrated can improve your brain's ability to retain information.