Sodium bicarb AND citric acid powder?

In Summary, they mix and then the sodium bicarbonate becomes neutral and won't stop the heartburn as well as just pure baking soda in water.
LT72884
Ok, quick question. I know that baking soda is great for heartburn, but why is it in certain medicines, they have sodium bicarb AND citric acid powder? My wife actually uses those two compounds to make bath fizzies. She adds esentual oils to them for health benefits and smells. haha. Anyway, once the sodium bicarb and citric acid mix in the water, they bubble and perform a basic base/acid reaction. But doesn't that mean, after the reaction, that the baking soda is now neutral and therefore will not stop the heart burn as well as just pure baking soda in water?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org

LT72884 said:
Ok, quick question. I know that baking soda is great for heartburn, but why is it in certain medicines, they have sodium bicarb AND citric acid powder? My wife actually uses those two compounds to make bath fizzies. She adds esentual oils to them for health benefits and smells. haha. Anyway, once the sodium bicarb and citric acid mix in the water, they bubble and perform a basic base/acid reaction. But doesn't that mean, after the reaction, that the baking soda is now neutral and therefore will not stop the heart burn as well as just pure baking soda in water?

thanks

Interesting question. My guess, probably for agitation, mixing. My guess further is that there would be enough bicarbonate to be excess of the citric acid. Actual quantities, I really do not know.

symbolipoint said:
Interesting question. My guess, probably for agitation, mixing. My guess further is that there would be enough bicarbonate to be excess of the citric acid. Actual quantities, I really do not know.

thanks guys for some light and knowledge. i love this stuff, hence why i am an premed/engineering student. I have only had gen chem classes and so trying to see how things really work makes me excited. I am willing to bet that there is more sodium bicarb than the citric acid so therofre it still acts as a acid reducer.

I usually use pepcid ac since it is magnisuim, calcium and a mixture of NH2, sulfur and a we bit of ox. And pepsin, which is part of pepcid ac comes from the pepermint plant. that's what makes it soothing. Thats what i usually use for acid(once or twice a month) but i was out and being a student, 14$ for some is a we bit high for me. haha so i bought some antiacid powder from the store. that's when i noticed what it was.. haha.

thanks guys. i want to learn more about this stuff.

LT72884 said:
I usually use pepcid ac since it is magnisuim, calcium and a mixture of NH2, sulfur and a we bit of ox. And pepsin, which is part of pepcid ac comes from the pepermint plant.

Looks like the only correct thing here is the spelling of "calcium".

Borek said:

::biggrin:: First time I've seen famotidine[/PLAIN] [Broken] described that way!

Last edited by a moderator:

Borek said:

now now, i was somewhat close. haha. I am still learnin all this stuff. its calcium carbonate (800mg) and magnesium hydroxide(165 mg) with Famotidine (10mg). calcium and magnesium calm stomach acid and sour stomach while the Famotidine does its thing with the cells of the body.

the Famotidine is.. well you all know o chem so you can imagine what it is. sulfamoylprop something or another. It is some sort of organic compound.

oh another thing i thought interesting, do not know if it ios related, but i know that they use sulfur to react with enzymes to create something else. I remember that from bio chem class but i don't know if that's why they used sulfur in this case..

anyway, my original question was why the citric acid in some acid reducers. i know citric acid a is a weak acid and pretty much is done away with from the baking soda. So are they putting it in the antacids as a liabilty issue? IE, to much sodium and or bicarb intake? thanks

Last edited:

LT72884 said:

thanks

Sodium bicarbonate and citric acid when mixed with water will give that delightful looking fizz. The product is sodium citrate a conjugate base of a weak acid, and that would give a buffer solution to control the pH of a solution, in this case possibly if you ingest enough of the antiacid, the solution in your stomach.
And the tangy taste is also kind of refreshing.

1. What is sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder?

Sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder is a mixture of two common ingredients commonly used in cooking and baking. Sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda, is a white powder that acts as a leavening agent in baking. Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in many fruits and is often used as a natural preservative in food and beverages.

2. What is the purpose of using sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder?

The main purpose of using sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder is to create a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide gas, which helps baked goods rise and become light and fluffy. This reaction is also responsible for the characteristic fizzing and bubbling that occurs when these ingredients are combined with water.

3. Can sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder be used as a cleaning agent?

Yes, sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder can be used as a natural and environmentally-friendly cleaning agent. When mixed with water, the resulting solution can effectively remove stains, grease, and odors from various surfaces. However, it is important to test a small area first and avoid using it on delicate surfaces.

4. Are there any health benefits of consuming sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder?

While sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder are generally safe for consumption, there are some potential health benefits associated with their use. For example, baking soda can help alleviate heartburn and indigestion, while citric acid may improve digestion and boost the immune system. However, it is important to consume these ingredients in moderation and consult a healthcare professional for any specific health concerns.

5. Can sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder expire?

Sodium bicarbonate and citric acid powder are generally considered shelf-stable and do not have an expiration date. However, over time, they may lose their potency and effectiveness, especially if exposed to moisture. It is recommended to store these ingredients in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for optimal shelf life.