Transforming Fields in Inertial and Rotating Frames

In summary, an orbiting frame is not inertial, because it has a centripetal acceleration due to gravity. However, in the framework of special relativity, it can be considered inertial.
cragar
If I am in orbit around Earth that means that I am in constant free-fall around earth.
Is this an inertial reference frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not believe you are. An inertial reference frame is one in which there is no acceleration. Here you have a centripetal acceleration due to gravity.

In the Newtonian framework no, a freely falling frame is not inertial because it is accelerating with respect to some fixed background inertial frame. In the GR framework, a freely falling frame is locally inertial.

so it would be considered inertial, then I could use special relativity in that frame

In Newtonian mechanics it is not an inertial frame (however you can still do Newtonian mechanics in this frame as long as you transform to the frame correctly). In GR, it is locally an inertial frame and locally you can do SR.

cragar said:
so it would be considered inertial, then I could use special relativity in that frame
Locally, yes.

ok here is a question I have had for a while related to that. Let's say there is a charged spherical shell around me and the earth, and I am orbiting the earth, and the charged spherical shell is rotating with me at a constant
[itex] \omega [/itex] so relative to me the charged spherical shell is not moving and the shell is just slightly at a larger radius than me. But to someone standing on Earth the shell is rotating, and in their frame this will produce a B field that points up and is constant. what's going on.

Actually even when you are in the frame of an observer rotating exactly with the (slowly) rotating shell of charge, there will be a non-zero magnetic field observed in the rotating frame due to fictitious currents. You have to be careful about how ##E## and ##B## fields transform from inertial frames to rotating frames, which are non-inertial. It is not as simple as transforming the fields from one inertial frame to another. For a detailed calculation of the scenario you described, see here: http://www.hep.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/rotatingshell.pdf

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity. This means that the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How is free fall different from regular falling?

In regular falling, there may be other forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or friction, which can affect the speed and trajectory of the object. Free fall, on the other hand, only occurs when there are no other forces acting on the object besides gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating the speed of an object in free fall?

The formula for calculating the speed of an object in free fall is v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

4. What is an orbit?

An orbit is the path that an object takes around another object in space due to the force of gravity. In order for an object to stay in orbit, its speed must be balanced with the gravitational pull of the larger object it is orbiting.

5. How is the concept of free fall related to orbiting objects?

The concept of free fall is closely related to orbiting objects, as both are governed by the force of gravity. In free fall, the object is constantly accelerating towards the center of the larger object (such as the Earth). In orbit, the object is also constantly accelerating towards the center of the larger object, but its tangential velocity is balanced with the force of gravity, resulting in a circular or elliptical path around the larger object.