Equilibrium the ultimate conversion

by Woopydalan
Tags: conversion, equilibrium, ultimate
Woopydalan
Oct13-13, 07:56 PM
P: 746
Hello,

I am wondering conceptually why the maximum conversion of products is made at chemical equilibrium? I was thinking if you use le chatelier to push towards products, the conversion will be higher.

Sorry if this sounds too vague, my prof's lecture was called "Equilibrium: The ultimate conversion''
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
UltrafastPED
Oct13-13, 09:01 PM
Thanks
P: 1,312
Le Chatelier reaches a new equilibrium ... so the result still holds.
Woopydalan
Oct13-13, 09:22 PM
P: 746
Didn't think about that, thank you. But can't you be past equilibrium, and during that time beyond equilibrium, the conversion is higher?

UltrafastPED
Oct13-13, 09:31 PM
Thanks
P: 1,312

Equilibrium the ultimate conversion

But what happens under le Chatelier? The principle is clear: their is a resistance to the change, and this resistance results in a new equilibrium.

Consider an exothermic reaction - there is a certain amount of heat given off. But if we add just a bit more of something and there was no resistance (i.e., le Chatelier fails!) then you would obtain more heat ... and add a bit more, and you get more heat ... seems like it cheats on the first law of thermodynamics!

Register to reply