Are Eggs Liquid or Solid and Why Do They Change State When Heated?

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary: primary structure (helix or strand),secondary structure (linear or curved),tertiary structure (cross-links).
STEMucator
Homework Helper
So while i was cooking my eggs this morning for breakfast, some interesting questions dawned on me.

Are eggs a liquid or a solid and more interestingly, why do they become a solid when they are heated up?

If eggs are a liquid, why don't they change into a gas? If they are a solid why don't they change into a liquid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
An overview:

Molecular level (video):
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sit...chapter2/animation__protein_denaturation.html

and wiki: Denaturation (like your boiling eggs)
Background
Proteins are amino acid polymers. A protein is created by ribosomes that "read" RNA that is encoded by codons in the gene and assemble the requisite amino acid combination from the genetic instruction, in a process known as translation. The newly created protein strand then undergoes posttranslational modification, in which additional atoms or molecules are added, for example copper, zinc, or iron. Once this post-translational modification process has been completed, the protein begins to fold (sometimes spontaneously and sometimes with enzymatic assistance), curling up on itself so that hydrophobic elements of the protein are buried deep inside the structure and hydrophilic elements end up on the outside. The final shape of a protein determines how it interacts with its environment.
When a protein is denatured, secondary and tertiary structures are altered but the peptide bonds of the primary structure between the amino acids are left intact. Since all structural levels of the protein determines its function, the protein can no longer perform its function once it has been denatured. This is in contrast to intrinsically unstructured proteins, which are unfolded in their native state, but still functionally active.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatu...uration_occurs_at_levels_of_protein_structure

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Hmm so proteins form a helix due to hydrogen bonding among other things.

So when the proteins are denatured, they form a solid state by bonding with ##H_2O## molecules.

This is some really interesting stuff. I never knew eggs were so complicated (relatively). When I first thought about it I was like "oh no! a contradiction to the KMT", but now I see how it works.

Thank you for providing that very informative video :)

Zondrina said:
Hmm so proteins form a helix due to hydrogen bonding among other things.

There are two types of secondary structure:
α-Helix and β-pleated sheet:
Fig-02-19-0.jpg

The different levels of structures are:
3levelpro.4.p.jpg

p18.jpg

I find your questions about eggs to be very intriguing. The answer to whether eggs are a liquid or a solid is not as straightforward as one might think. Eggs are actually a combination of both liquid and solid components. The egg white is mostly liquid, while the yolk is more solid.

The reason eggs become solid when heated is due to the proteins in the egg whites and yolks denaturing, or changing their structure, when exposed to heat. This denaturation causes the proteins to unfold and form a solid network, giving the egg its solid consistency.

As for why eggs do not change into a gas when heated, it is because the boiling point of eggs is much higher than the temperature at which they are typically cooked. Additionally, the eggshell acts as a barrier, preventing the eggs from evaporating.

Similarly, eggs do not change into a liquid when cooled because their melting point is much higher than room temperature. The solid structure formed by the denatured proteins remains intact even when the egg cools down.

Overall, the unique composition of eggs and the properties of their components allow them to maintain their solid form when heated and cooled. I hope this explanation has satisfied your curiosity about eggs and their interesting behavior when exposed to heat.

1. How long can eggs last in the fridge?

Eggs can last up to 4-5 weeks in the fridge if they are kept in their carton and stored at a consistent temperature of 40°F or below.

2. Can I eat eggs past the expiration date?

The expiration date on an egg carton is usually a "sell by" date, not an expiration date. As long as the eggs have been properly stored, they can be safely consumed 3-5 weeks after the expiration date.

3. Are brown eggs healthier than white eggs?

No, the color of the eggshell does not affect its nutritional value. Brown eggs come from a different breed of chicken, while white eggs come from another, but they both have the same nutritional content.

4. How do I tell if an egg is still fresh?

The best way to tell if an egg is still fresh is by doing a float test. Place the egg in a bowl of water, if it sinks to the bottom and lies on its side, it is fresh. If it stands on one end at the bottom, it is still safe to eat but not as fresh. If it floats, it is no longer fresh and should be discarded.

5. Can I freeze eggs?

Yes, you can freeze eggs. Crack them into an airtight container and beat them gently until well mixed. Label the container with the number of eggs and the date, and they can last up to a year in the freezer.