What is this equation called? Can it work Horizontially as well?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the formula learned in the math class for figuring out the height of a projectile at a given time is -16t2+v0t+h0, where v0 is the initial velocity and h0 is the initial height. This formula only applies for vertical motion, and for horizontal motion or motion at an angle, the velocity vector must be broken up into its vertical and horizontal components. Also, this formula only holds true for one system of units, which is not the metric system.
Tyrion101
In my most recent math class one of the equations we had to know was -16t2+Tv0+Th0, I may have put the little letters out of order, but that is the basic formula, it has to do with figuring how long it will take something to land, the H being the point at which the projectile was fired/thrown from. I was playing angry birds, and thought it might work sideways as well as vertically? Basically I guess I'm asking if this isn't a horizontal equation, what would it be?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tyrion101 said:
In my most recent math class one of the equations we had to know was -16t2+Tv0+Th0
1. This is NOT an equation. An equation always has the = symbol between two expressions.
2. Your formula is incorrect. It should be h(t) = -16t2 + v0t + h0. There is no time factor with the h0 term, and you shouldn't write both t and T for the same thing. The letter t is usually used to indicate time.

This function gives the height at time t, of an object thrown with an initial velocity of v0 from an initial height of h0.
Tyrion101 said:
, I may have put the little letters out of order, but that is the basic formula, it has to do with figuring how long it will take something to land, the H being the point at which the projectile was fired/thrown from. I was playing angry birds, and thought it might work sideways as well as vertically? Basically I guess I'm asking if this isn't a horizontal equation, what would it be?
The function above is strictly the vertical position at a given time. The -16t2 term is the clue there.

To find the position of a ball thrown horizontally or at some angle from the horizontal, you have to break up the velocity vector into its vertical and horizontal components.

Gravity does not pull horizontally, does it?

And you should be aware that the formula holds true only for one system of units. (Hint: it's not the metric system)

This equation is called the kinematic equation for displacement. It can be used to calculate the time it takes for a projectile to land, given the initial velocity and starting point. This equation can work horizontally as well, as long as the initial velocity and starting point are known. If the projectile is moving in a horizontal direction, the equation would be -16t^2 + Vx0 + Hx0, where Vx0 is the initial velocity in the horizontal direction and Hx0 is the starting point in the horizontal direction. So yes, this equation can work for both vertical and horizontal motion.

What is this equation called?

The equation is called a linear equation. It is used to represent a straight line on a graph.

Can it work Horizontally as well?

Yes, it can work horizontally as well. The equation can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept. This allows the equation to work for both vertical and horizontal lines.

What is the purpose of a linear equation?

The purpose of a linear equation is to represent a relationship between two variables that can be graphed as a straight line. It is commonly used in mathematics, science, and engineering to model real-world situations and make predictions.

How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to cancel out any constants or coefficients attached to the variable. The goal is to get the variable by itself on one side of the equation.

What is the difference between a linear equation and a nonlinear equation?

A linear equation represents a straight line, while a nonlinear equation represents a curved line. Nonlinear equations can have various shapes and may involve powers, roots, or trigonometric functions. Linear equations, on the other hand, have a constant slope and can be easily graphed as a straight line.