Trying to understand neon lights

In summary: Neon light work when the negative ion discharge creating electricity therefore causing gases to glow within the neon light In summary, the light you see from a neon light comes from the excited atoms in the gas. The atoms get excited by either being ionized or by free electrons moving from one electrode to the other.
Hufsa
Hi,
I'm trying to understand how neon lights work. I understand that the emitted light comes from excited atoms in the gas, and I know what a neon light consists of. But I'm a little bit confused about one part, how do the atoms get excited? I've seen two different explanations, if I understand them correctly.
The first one is that when a high enough voltage is applied to the electrodes, electrons move from one electrode to the other, and when these electrons collide with electrons in the atoms, the energy from the collision is absorbed by the atom's electrons and they get excited.
Another explanation, which I don't really understand, has to do with the atoms getting ionized.
If anybody could help me with this, I'd appreciate it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ionization is just an extreme form of excitation, where the electrons don't just jump to a higher energy level, they jump entirely off the atom. I don't really know anything about neon bulbs but I would assume that both explanations are reasonable. The excited electrons fall back to the lower state and emit a photon and the ionized atoms, since there are a lot of them, probably exchange electrons (that is, an ionized atom captures a passing electron from another atom and back and forth) and the electron falls to a lower state an emits a photon.

Thanks for the reply.
I just found the article on gas-discharge lamps on wikipedia. "Gas-discharge lamps are a family of artificial light sources that generate light by sending an electrical discharge through an ionized gas, a plasma. [...] In operation the gas is ionized, and free electrons, accelerated by the electrical field in the tube, collide with gas and metal atoms. Some electrons in the atomic orbitals of these atoms are excited by these collisions to a higher energy state."
But I still have one question. These free electrons, are they only coming from the ionized gas, or are there also free electrons moving from one electrode to the other? Does "sending an electrical discharge through an ionized gas" mean that the latter is true?

Hufsa said:
These free electrons, are they only coming from the ionized gas, or are there also free electrons moving from one electrode to the other?

Both.

Hufsa said:
\are there also free electrons moving from one electrode to the other? Does "sending an electrical discharge through an ionized gas" mean that the latter is true?

If there weren't, what would be creating the energy that is represented by the light you see ? Do you reckon neon bulbs use zero electricity?

phinds said:
If there weren't, what would be creating the energy that is represented by the light you see ? Do you reckon neon bulbs use zero electricity?

Yeah, I didn't really use my brain. Sorry. But to my defense, I'm in high school, we only just recently started studying electricity, and so far it's only been about static electricity. So I'm not very used to this type of thinking. When it comes to physics, I'm mostly self-taught. For instance, people in my class wouldn't know what a photon is, and neither would they know what an excited atom is or that different electron shells have different energy levels.

Hufsa said:
Yeah, I didn't really use my brain. Sorry. But to my defense, I'm in high school, we only just recently started studying electricity, and so far it's only been about static electricity. So I'm not very used to this type of thinking. When it comes to physics, I'm mostly self-taught. For instance, people in my class wouldn't know what a photon is, and neither would they know what an excited atom is or that different electron shells have different energy levels.

Nothing to worry about. My posts sometimes seem a bit sarcastic but I was just adding to what Borak said and giving you something to think about. Glad to hear you are interested in physics. I find it fascinating except for the advanced math which just makes my head hurt so at GR and beyond I just stick to the basic concepts without math. Hope you make if farther along since really, without the math a lot of it is not accurately comprehensible so I know my knowledge is superficial. Stick with that math !

Likes 1 person
I am assuming neon light work when the negative ion discharge creating electricity therefore causing gases to glow within the neon light remember I am just assuming

What are neon lights and how do they work?

Neon lights are a type of gas discharge lamp that produce a bright, glowing light. They work by passing an electric current through a tube filled with neon gas, causing the gas to ionize and emit light.

What are the different colors of neon lights and how are they created?

The most common colors of neon lights are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. These colors are created by using different gases or combinations of gases in the tube, such as neon, argon, and mercury vapor.

What is the history of neon lights?

Neon lights were first discovered in 1898 by British scientists William Ramsay and Morris Travers. In 1910, French engineer Georges Claude invented the first commercial neon light, which was used for advertising and signage.

What are the benefits of using neon lights?

Neon lights are energy efficient, long-lasting, and have a wide range of colors. They are also highly visible, making them a popular choice for advertising and signage. Additionally, they do not emit UV light, making them safe for indoor use.

How are neon lights used in modern technology?

In addition to their traditional use in advertising and signage, neon lights are now used in various forms of modern technology. They can be found in electronic displays, medical equipment, and even as a light source in flat-screen televisions and computer screens.