Bacterial Conjugation: F+ / F+ crosses

• Thread starter Adrian
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of surface exclusion in conjugation, where two specific proteins on the surface of F+ cells prevent another F+ cell's pili from attaching. These proteins, traS and traT, are connected to the pilus/plasma bridge/transport mechanism. The group also asks for more information on the function and location of these proteins and any documented cases of F+ / F+ conjugation occurring. Finally, they share papers that may provide more insight on the topic.
Adrian
Hi everybody,

I've been reading up on conjugation and came across the concept of surface exclusion, i.e. two specific proteins on the surface of F+ cells preventing another F+ cell's pili from attaching. These to proteins are coded for by the traS and traT genes, both presumably connected to the pilus / plasma bridge / transport mechanism in one way or another.

Now my question is, what exactly do these proteins do? What's theri function, and where exactly are they? Anyone have a URL to a good sketch or other picture of the thing?

Also, are there documented cases of F+ / F+ conjugation occurring nonetheless (albeit with a very low frequency)?

Thanks guys,

Biology news on Phys.org
Wow, thanks for the quick and helpful reply; I am starting to like this board

The abstracts look just like what I've been looking for, I'll go and try to get the papers at the library.

1. What is bacterial conjugation?

Bacterial conjugation is a type of genetic transfer process in which one bacterial cell (the donor) transfers genetic material to another bacterial cell (the recipient) through direct cell-to-cell contact.

2. What is the role of the F+ factor in bacterial conjugation?

The F+ factor is a plasmid (a small, circular piece of DNA) that contains genes responsible for initiating bacterial conjugation. It is present in the donor cell and is responsible for the transfer of genetic material to the recipient cell.

3. How does F+ / F+ cross occur in bacterial conjugation?

In F+ / F+ cross, both the donor and recipient cells contain the F+ factor. This means that both cells have the ability to act as donors and recipients, allowing for the exchange of genetic material between them.

4. What are the potential benefits of F+ / F+ crosses in bacterial conjugation?

F+ / F+ crosses allow for the exchange of genetic material between bacteria of the same species, resulting in increased genetic diversity. This can provide bacteria with the ability to adapt and survive in changing environments and can also lead to the spread of beneficial traits.

5. Are there any risks associated with F+ / F+ crosses in bacterial conjugation?

While bacterial conjugation can be beneficial for the exchange of useful genetic material, it can also lead to the spread of harmful traits, such as antibiotic resistance. It is important to carefully monitor and regulate the use of bacterial conjugation in order to prevent the spread of potentially harmful traits.