Specific heat : solids and liquids

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the necessary heat to raise the temperature of lead and the phase change from solid to liquid. The specific heat of lead and the heat of fusion are given as 31.0 calories per kilogram per Celsius degree and 24.5 x 10^3 joules per kilogram, respectively. The solution involves using the equation m C delta T.
airforce840
I am having a lot of trouble with these types of problems.. this one is on a homework assignment and i don't know where to begin.
heres the problem :
The sepcific heat of lead is 31.0 calories per kilogram per Celsius degree. (a) Find the heat necessary to raise the temperature of 1.30 kg of lead from 23.0 degrees Celsius to its melting point, 327.3 C. (b) Find the heat necessary for the phase change from solid to liquid. The heat of fusion for lead is 24.5 x 10^3 joules per kilogram.
Any help is great.
Thanks in advanced
Patrick

Physics news on Phys.org
airforce840 said:
The sepcific heat of lead is 31.0 calories per kilogram per Celsius degree.
(a) Find the heat necessary to raise the temperature of 1.30 kg of lead from 23.0 degrees Celsius to its melting point, 327.3 C.

What equation do you have that relates heat, specific heat, and temperature change?

(b) Find the heat necessary for the phase change from solid to liquid. The heat of fusion for lead is 24.5 x 10^3 joules per kilogram.

What equation do you have that relates heat, heat of fusion (aka latent heat of fusion) and mass?

i feel so stupid.. these problems are quite easy once i looked at it again.. all i got to do is use m C delta T and I am good 2 go.

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass.

2. How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat can be measured by conducting experiments where the substance is heated or cooled and its change in temperature and heat energy is recorded.

3. What factors affect the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and molecular structure. Substances with higher molecular complexity tend to have higher specific heat values.

4. How does specific heat differ between solids and liquids?

The specific heat of solids and liquids can vary significantly. Generally, liquids have a higher specific heat than solids due to the increased molecular motion and intermolecular forces in liquids.

5. Why is specific heat important in understanding heat transfer?

Specific heat is important in understanding heat transfer because it helps us calculate the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance. This is crucial in designing heating and cooling systems and understanding the behavior of materials when exposed to different temperatures.