Living Life in a Pessimistic World

• Thread starter Blahness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a temporary life and the lack of an afterlife. Some argue that this means nothing matters and there is no point in doing anything, while others believe that it is important to make the most of the time we have and find happiness. Some believe in leaving a legacy and contributing to the world, while others think that we should focus on our own desires and pleasures. Overall, the conversation highlights the different perspectives on the value and purpose of life.
Blahness
If everything is temporary, and there is no "afterlife", why bother doing anything at all? It's only temporary, and it'll not impact you in 200 years.

(Note: I'm Pessmogstic, aka if there is a God, I ought to kick him in the nuts.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Blahness said:
If everything is temporary, and there is no "afterlife", why bother doing anything at all? It's only temporary, and it'll not impact you in 200 years.
(Note: I'm Pessmogstic, aka if there is a God, I ought to kick him in the nuts.)

If everything is temporary and there is no afterlife then why should I care what impacts or doesn't in 200 years, long after I'm gone? Live for the day.

selfAdjoint said:
Live for the day.
This is called "to carp the diadem", if I'm not much mistaken. :smile:

Blahness said:
If everything is temporary [...] why bother doing anything at all?

To echo selfAdjoint's "live for the day"... Notice how what is temporary is also right now. Some would say that the past is dead and the future does not even exist yet, so all you have is the present. If you spend it moping, you're squandering resources. Kick yourself hard and pick up a sport, a hobby, a political cause, a philosophical ideal.

A great philosopher from "City Slickers" said it eloquently (paraphrasing):

Jack Palance: "You know what matters in life?"
Billy Crystal: "No."
Palance, raising a single gloved finger: "One thing."
Billy Crystal: "And what is that?"
Pallance: "That's for you to figure out."

Got it? Figure out the one thing that matters in your life. Then go with it.

Blahness said:
If everything is temporary, and there is no "afterlife", why bother doing anything at all?
If you wake up one day and realize you exist, without any pre-existing meaning or purpose, why not do something interesting and engaging with that accidental opportunity?

Blahness said:

If you want to spend your limited existence moping around and not bothering to do anything, feel free. I on the other hand am damn well going to make the most of the time I have and enjoy myself. :tongue2:

Blahness said:

Why bother? Because your happiness depends on it.

sid_galt said:
Why bother? Because your happiness depends on it.
Exactly. Then again, there are people who do spend their lives sitting around doing nothing; what a waste.

Because we are the stewards of today, and we have an obligation to preserve and even improve the world in which we live for our children, our children's children, and so on.

Also, when you find a lifepartner - you will understand.

On a more profound note - when one takes one's last breath - assuming one will be conscious, what will be one's last thought? Upon what life will one reflect? What will one have contributed to the world during one's life? What legacy will one leave behind?

I think my last thought will be of the one most special woman in my life, and hopefully by then, I will have served her well.

Moonbear said:
Exactly. Then again, there are people who do spend their lives sitting around doing nothing; what a waste.
I'd say what a tragedy..

Blahness said:

Just in case someday we will be able to live forever in the real world.

Blahness said:

Your observations grant you a large degree of freedom to do whatever.

I know when I was dying my only thought was that I didn't want to die alone. My life didn't pass before my eyes. And there was no light at the end of a tunnel, no dead relatives, no heavenly harps or anything. It was just hot and smelled like bbq.

I like bbq. Can I join you?

1. What is a pessimistic worldview?

A pessimistic worldview is a perspective that emphasizes negative outcomes and views the world as inherently bad or unfavorable. It often involves expecting the worst in any situation and feeling a sense of hopelessness or despair about the future.

2. How does living in a pessimistic world affect our mental health?

Constant exposure to negative thoughts and beliefs can greatly impact our mental health. It can lead to feelings of anxiety, depression, and low self-esteem. It can also make it difficult to find joy and happiness in life.

3. Is it possible to change a pessimistic worldview?

Yes, it is possible to change a pessimistic worldview. It may take time and effort, but by challenging negative thoughts and beliefs, practicing gratitude and mindfulness, and surrounding oneself with positive influences, a person can shift their perspective to a more optimistic one.

4. Can living in a pessimistic world have any positive effects?

While a pessimistic worldview may have some negative impacts, it can also serve as a form of protection. By expecting the worst, people with this perspective may be more prepared for potential challenges or disappointments. It can also motivate individuals to work harder to achieve their goals.

5. How can we cope with living in a pessimistic world?

Coping with a pessimistic world can involve utilizing healthy coping mechanisms, such as practicing self-care, seeking support from loved ones, and engaging in activities that bring joy and positivity. It can also be helpful to challenge negative thoughts and focus on finding the good in life. Seeking professional help may also be beneficial for managing a pessimistic worldview.