Solving Force Exerted on Mass by Spring Constant k

In summary, when a mass hangs motionless from a spring, the force exerted by the spring on the mass is equal to the weight of the mass, which is mg = -kx in terms of the spring constant, k. This is due to Hooke's law and the fact that the mass is in equilibrium.
atomant
I got a question. If a mass hangs motionless from a spring, what is the force exerted on the mass by the spring in terms of the spring constant, k?
So I was thinking when a load of mass m is used on the spring it will stretch by a distance x, and as the extention is directly propotional to the weight the spring should obey Hooke's law. Thus mg=-kx. However the question asks for the force exerted by the mass and I am not too sure how that is obtained. There is obvioisly no SHM, so I can;t use T=2pi sqroot m/k. any ideas as to how this is solved?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex] \Sigma F = 0 [/itex]

the force exerted by the mass is its weight.

atomant said:
I got a question. If a mass hangs motionless from a spring, what is the force exerted on the mass by the spring in terms of the spring constant, k?
So I was thinking when a load of mass m is used on the spring it will stretch by a distance x, and as the extention is directly propotional to the weight the spring should obey Hooke's law. Thus mg=-kx. However the question asks for the force exerted by the mass and I am not too sure how that is obtained. There is obvioisly no SHM, so I can;t use T=2pi sqroot m/k. any ideas as to how this is solved?

Specifically, the mass is in equilibrium. Thus the force the spring is exerting on the mass is equal to its weight. The force the mass is exerting on the spring is equal to the force the spring is exerting on the mass, by Newton's Third Law.

-Dan

Of course!. I have been going around in circles:redface: Thanks!

What is the equation for calculating the force exerted on a mass by a spring?

The equation for calculating the force exerted on a mass by a spring is F = kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How do you determine the value of the spring constant?

The value of the spring constant can be determined by measuring the force applied to the spring and the resulting displacement, and then using the equation k = F/x. This can also be done by analyzing the slope of a force-displacement graph for the spring.

What is the relationship between the force exerted by a spring and its spring constant?

The force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the force exerted by the spring also increases and vice versa.

Can the force exerted by a spring be negative?

Yes, the force exerted by a spring can be negative if the displacement of the spring is in the opposite direction of the force applied. This means that the spring is pulling in the opposite direction of the applied force.

How does the mass of an object affect the force exerted by a spring?

The mass of an object does not affect the force exerted by a spring. The force exerted by a spring is dependent on the spring constant and displacement, not on the mass of the object attached to the spring.