Is there a difference between our conscious and unconscious perception of time?

• Thread starter mikelus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Time
In summary, the clock serves as a tool for capturing the Earth's movements and is also used in our daily lives for time management. Time can be a subjective experience, leading to instances where we lose track of it. There is a belief that there is a fully aware consciousness within our minds, and the concept of time may be a result of consciousness. However, time is also seen as a false representation of life. It is possible for us to be a super advanced computer organism, but it is also debated whether time is truly a measurement or not.
mikelus
part 1
The clock is used for a tool. A tool at the roots used to capture as best as possible the "day and night", or the Earth movements to the sun. The clock is also used in our daily life as a universal time we run our life's accordingly too. Such as work times, meeting time's, scheduals and dates.
part 2
Have you ever lost track of time in the moment of your life?
Then looked at the clock and realized it was over a hour since the last time you checked the clock, but it seemed like the time blew right by. Why is this?
part 3
In our mind if there's a possible fully aware conscious then there's also a possible unaware conscious. What separates the two from each other?:smile: :smile: :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mikelus

Then looked at the clock and realized it was over a hour since the last time you checked the clock, but it seemed like the time blew right by. Why is this?

yes, when i go on vacation i completely lose track of time! clock time is a form of control in a sense for society isn't it? unless you're a hippie...i bet back 600 years ago there wasn't a need for stringent time keeping, as you would just be responsible for keeping warm and staying fed...

life was harder yet simpler then, today it's easier but more complicated, and time keeps that complication in check it seems...

Originally posted by mikelus
part 2

That rarely happens to me, but I hear a lot of other people complaining that it happens to them all of the time. I'd say it's probably just because time is a subjective experience, just like anything other experience, and can thus take second place to other subjective experiences, on some occasions.

part 3
In our mind if there's a possible fully aware conscious then there's also a possible unaware conscious. What separates the two from each other?:smile: :smile: :smile:

Expound on the "fully aware consciousness" inside our minds, please. What do you mean by this?

Originally posted by Mentat
That rarely happens to me, but I hear a lot of other people complaining that it happens to them all of the time. I'd say it's probably just because time is a subjective experience, just like anything other experience, and can thus take second place to other subjective experiences, on some occasions.

Expound on the "fully aware consciousness" inside our minds, please. What do you mean by this?

Fully aware conscious or the third eye. One who is in a place we like to call the present. A feeling one can only explain once he's arrived. Enlightenment.

There's an old saying, (The author escapes me right now.) that when God, (Not using 'God' here as a religious connotation, just pure example.)got up this morning, Freud was still in medical school. Long day.
In our mind if there's a possible fully aware conscious then there's also a possible unaware conscious. What separates the two from each other?
They're not?
Can you really separate 'time' from conscious beings? Is 'time' perhaps a direct result of consciousness?

time is unrelated to conscousness unless you believe that were programmed like a computor. Yes in a sense we are, we work 8 to 5 five times a week. we get a 2 week vacation same time every year and we live a normal life. Isn't this the all american dream? Not that it's a bad thing to do it that way. right we get up at the same time everyday but does that mean that the clock rules our life? I tend to see the clock as a continual order that stays the same. You can get sucked into it if you let it take you or you can stay separated from it and see it for what is acually is. Do you ever find yourself waiting for the clock to change anticipating the the next digit so you can get off from work. So time does relate to our lifes but it does not rule our life's as the same in our conscious mind. You don't anticipate the time unless you think about it.

time is unrelated to conscousness unless you believe that were programmed like a computor.
Why do you believe this. And why can't time be a product of conciousness?

still time is a false representation of life. For no measurement is perfect, and time is a mesurement. So maybe the fully aware conscious is when the imperfections of the unaware conscious become one with the observer or become clear minded. time is a set figure if you relate it to our conscious we have set figures as well, some of us. Are we an super advanced living computor organism I think not. For our memory fades and every day every moment is always different.

Are we an super advanced living computor organism I think not.
Can you at least admit that its possible that we are?
time is a mesurement.
Even this is debatable.
For our memory fades and every day every moment is always different.
Parts wear out and perception 'may' appear unique because we can't yet fathom the pattern. Just thoughts.

I suppose its possible for us to be a super advanced computor with only enough memory to never know or find out who created us, who knows though. why do you think time is not a measurement I'm interested?

I suppose its possible for us to be a super advanced computor with only enough memory to never know or find out who created us, who knows though.
Thank you for at least entertaining the validity of this thought.
why do you think time is not a measurement I'm interested?
I didn't say I thought time wasn't a measurement. I did, however, say that it is debatable. Yes we can use time as a unit of measure, but I can also use light as a measurement instrument. Does that make light a measuring tool exclusively? The way it was put was, time is a measurement, or way to measure, only. It, more than likely, is a side effect of its real purpose. (Or a creation of conciousness?) Essentially, I could measure lines in the road using only my car. (ie: the distance between these 2 lines is 1 car length) But my car's native purpose is to get me from point A to point B. Using time to measure with, may even return incorrect results. Just as using my car to measure lines in the road would be far from accurate. Have you ever used a pair of vice grips to pound in a nail in the absence of a hammer? (Don't laugh, I have) My views, of course, go much deeper than that, but that would include a whole lotta surplus rhetoric...

Last edited:

1. How does time impact our daily lives?

Time plays a crucial role in our daily lives as it dictates our schedules, routines, and deadlines. It also affects our aging process and the way we perceive the passing of events.

2. Can time management improve our productivity?

Effective time management can definitely improve productivity by allowing us to prioritize tasks, set achievable goals, and avoid procrastination. It can also reduce stress and increase efficiency.

3. Is time a human-made concept?

While time is a human construct, it is based on natural occurrences such as the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun. However, the way we measure and perceive time is a human creation.

4. Can we control time?

We cannot control the passing of time, but we can control how we use and manage it. Our decisions and actions can affect the way we experience time, but ultimately, time will continue to pass regardless.

5. How does time affect our decision-making?

Time can have a significant impact on our decision-making process. Limited time can lead to rushed decisions, while having too much time can cause indecisiveness. Additionally, our perception of time can influence the choices we make.