Photo Contests on GD Forum - Is it Necessary?

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is questioning why photo contests on the GD forum are stickied when they have low participation and wondering if it is necessary and if it slows down the forum. They also mention that the images are not hosted by PF and that there will be a quiz set up next week.
marlon
Dear Friends,

Lately, i noticed a lot of Photo Contests appearing as a sticky in the GD forum. Now, if one looks at the number of views and the number of participants, i really wonder why these threads have to be stickies. I don't think they merit such "status" since only very few people actually care about the content. We have had quizzes in this forum that had much more participants yet they were never stickies.

Sometimes, but this is a question for the admins, i wonder whether this useless uploading of photo's does not slow down the forum. Is all of this really necessary ?

regards
marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
The images are not hosted by PF but by third-party servers like Imageshack - it's not our bandwith being wasted. The threads are presumably stickied because they must last several days, since they require PF'ers actually going out into the real world and finding objects to photograph. Participation is very high at this time - 15 entries and >30 voters.

Rach3 said:
The images are not hosted by PF but by third-party servers like Imageshack - it's not our bandwith being wasted.

Ohh ok, i did not know that.

marlon

Speaking of the quizzes, when are you going to create another one? You and gokul used to come up with some great ones.

Evo said:
Speaking of the quizzes, when are you going to create another one? You and gokul used to come up with some great ones.

Ha, good idea, i'll try to set up a quizz next week.

regards
marlon

marlon said:
Ha, good idea, i'll try to set up a quizz next week.

regards
marlon
oooh, I can't wait! :approve:

1. Why are photo contests necessary on the GD forum?

Photo contests on the GD forum are necessary because they encourage creative expression and community engagement. They provide a platform for members to showcase their photography skills and receive feedback and recognition from their peers.

2. How do photo contests benefit the GD forum community?

Photo contests benefit the GD forum community by promoting a sense of camaraderie and healthy competition. They also serve as a source of inspiration and motivation for members to improve their photography skills.

3. Who can participate in photo contests on the GD forum?

Anyone who is a member of the GD forum can participate in photo contests. These contests are open to all levels of photographers, from beginners to professionals.

4. Are there any guidelines or rules for participating in photo contests on the GD forum?

Yes, there are usually guidelines and rules set by the forum moderators to ensure fair and respectful participation. These guidelines may include requirements for the photo size, theme, and submission deadline. It is important to read and follow these guidelines to avoid disqualification.

5. What are the benefits of winning a photo contest on the GD forum?

Winning a photo contest on the GD forum can bring recognition and exposure to your photography. It can also boost your confidence and motivate you to continue improving your skills. Some contests may even offer prizes or rewards to the winners.