Best way to learn a CAD program

In summary, the best way for someone to really learn a CAD program is to use it, practice often, and ask for help when needed.
Physics_wiz
I have one year left in college and then I will graduate with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Unfortunately, I haven't learned much at all about drawing things using a CAD program. We had to draw simple things using PRO E for a class but it's not much. This won't help me at all if I start looking for a job after I graduate, so what's the best way to really learn something like PRO E? Knowledge of which programs will make me most attractive to employers after I graduate (I think PRO E is a good one)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the programmes that you're asking about, but I've found that the best way for me to learn one (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) is to use it. A lot. While reading the manual. Start with the simple stuff until you're comfortable with it, then move on to more complicated things. You might also see if there's a 'For Dummies' book available. They're great for explaining things in English rather than professional terms.

*echo here* I think the easiest way to get efficient with a package is to do tutorials (even pretty fast). Work your way through some, after which have a handle on the package, can make sense of the manuals better and so forth (I think picking a manual and going through it thoroughly at first is bit heavy, glance it first to learn some of the terminology, software structure basics etc. and then start doing stuff). Most software have similar structure, similar properties and so forth, when learn one well (preferably major of course, like Pro E) it's tolerably easy to adopt other packages.

Practice, practice, practice. You can learn the basics of a program from a book or tutorial, but the real learning, IMO, is in doing projects. A lot of programs now hve books with step-by-step projects to follow that take you through a lot of aspects of a specific program.

One caveat to this is that with any CAD package, there is a basic background knowledge required. For any of the basic or advanced packages out there, you need to have a decent understanding of drawing and drafting principles. Without that, learning will be tougher.

Physics_wiz said:
I have one year left in college and then I will graduate with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Unfortunately, I haven't learned much at all about drawing things using a CAD program. We had to draw simple things using PRO E for a class but it's not much. This won't help me at all if I start looking for a job after I graduate, so what's the best way to really learn something like PRO E? Knowledge of which programs will make me most attractive to employers after I graduate (I think PRO E is a good one)?

Pro-E and Solidworks are the best beginner packages to get some time in. These packages use drawing techniques that are used is many other programs (Unigraphics NX, for example). The most important part is understanding how and when to use elements such as datum planes and axes, sketches, extrusions, revolves, arrays, mirroring, etc. By knowing what you need to use and where, the CAD package is really just a series of buttons and functions that let you use these basic tools. Once you can look at a part and know how you would model it (revolve here, extrude-cut, array of holes, ...) all you really need in the CAD package is to know the little quirks and ins-n-outs of the software. You know WHAT you need, you just need to find it.

And by the way, experience in Pro-E and/or Solidworks are excellent resume boosters for a Mechanical Engineer, I highly recommend taking a class or two in CAD Drafting.

Nothing beats a live project... If nothing else, grab a few things off your desk, and draw them. The tutorials will get you the absolute basics, to avoid frustration, but until you are forced to use them, they don't become solid.

How about AutoCad?

Couldn't say; can't afford it. Wish that I did have it. I do my draughting in Illustrator. Still beats when I was doing it with a T-square and multiple triangle templates. (But once we have a big enough place, I'm bringing my draughting table and machine and all associated equipment home from my mother's house.)

I use AutoCad. I learned to use AutoCad when I was an interm. I went through a 2 week training period and after that the project manager corrected any mistakes I made. Of course not everyone can have that experience.

With other programs, I usually work with the program and see what I can pick up. Then after that I use the guide and ask people who are experienced with the program to help me when I need help.

Echoing Danger, PerennialII, FredGarvin and others, the only way to learn CAD or any program for that matter is by doing it repeatedly. If one is in a university environment, take advantage of that. After leaving university, one might be able to pick up a training course through a local junior/community college.

Or just buy the software (maybe a lite version) and just use it.

I have often found manuals woefully inadequate. :rolleyes:

1. What is the best way to learn a CAD program?

The best way to learn a CAD program is to start with the basics and gradually build on your knowledge. This can be done through online tutorials, classes, or self-teaching with the help of instructional books or videos. It is also important to practice using the program regularly to improve your skills.

2. How long does it take to learn a CAD program?

The time it takes to learn a CAD program can vary depending on the individual and the complexity of the program. However, with regular practice and dedication, most people can become proficient in a CAD program within a few months.

3. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites required to learn a CAD program?

Having a basic understanding of geometry and spatial relationships can be helpful when learning a CAD program. Familiarity with other design software or drafting techniques may also make the learning process easier. However, most CAD programs have user-friendly interfaces and provide tutorials and resources to help beginners get started.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in engineering or architecture to learn a CAD program?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in engineering or architecture to learn a CAD program. While these fields may require the use of CAD programs, anyone with an interest in design and a willingness to learn can become proficient in a CAD program.

5. Can I learn a CAD program on my own or do I need to take a class?

You can learn a CAD program on your own through online tutorials, instructional materials, and practice. However, taking a class or workshop may provide a more structured and comprehensive learning experience, as well as the opportunity to ask questions and receive personalized feedback.