Wave propagation in elastic tubes.

In summary, the amplitude of the waves is lowered at the discontinuity because the impedance of the thicker tube is greater than the impedance of the thin tube.
somasimple
Gold Member
Hi All,

Here is my question regarding the solution of this little movie =>
http://www.somasimple.com/flash_anims/ap_003.swf

A thin elastic tube (thickness = 1) is connected with a thicker one (40 times thicker than the previous section). The tubes are poured with water.
A wave is is traveling in the first section changing the shape of the tube (I emphasized the deformation on the movie). Its speed (constant) is known and equals to c1.

What happens when the wave reaches the thicker tube?
It is supposed that thre is no wave reflection.

Is c2 > c1?
How is the amplitude changed?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Step discontinuities like this are a bit different than what I am used to, but I would imagine that this would get you in the ballpark of where you need to be. However, looking at what you have provided, I'm not convinced you have enough information provided to answer the question.

At the discontinuity, there will be a reflected and a transmitted wave due to the incident wave. You can get a feel for the relative values by looking at the mechanical impedance of each tube.

Set the small tube to be T1 and the larger to be T2. This would result in Z1 and Z2 as the two corresponding impedances, where

[tex]Z = \rho c[/tex] where
[tex]\rho[/tex]=density
[tex]c[/tex]=speed of sound in the medium

The incident wave is usually described in terms of
[tex]u_i(x,t)=A_ie^{i(\omega t-kx)}[/tex]

The reflected and transmitted waves are in the form of
[tex]u_r(x,t)=A_re^{i(\omega t+kx)}[/tex]
[tex]u_t(x,t)=A_te^{i(\omega t-kx)}[/tex]

So, the expression that relates the A coefficients looks like:

[tex]\frac{A_t}{A_i}=\frac{2Z_1}{Z_1+Z_2}[/tex]

This leads to the fact that you must either already know the speed of sound in both media or you must know something about either the transmitted or reflected waves.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!
It is is just a virtual hypothesis.

With the enounced problem may I conclude that amplitude is lowered because impedance Z2>Z1?

1. What is wave propagation in elastic tubes?

Wave propagation in elastic tubes refers to the movement of mechanical waves through a tube or pipe made of an elastic material, such as rubber or plastic. These waves can be longitudinal (compression) or transverse (shear) and can travel at different speeds depending on the properties of the tube.

2. What factors influence wave propagation in elastic tubes?

The speed and behavior of wave propagation in elastic tubes is influenced by several factors, including the material properties of the tube (such as elasticity and density), the diameter and length of the tube, and the type of wave being transmitted.

3. How does wave propagation in elastic tubes differ from other types of wave propagation?

Unlike wave propagation in other media, such as air or water, wave propagation in elastic tubes is characterized by the tube's elasticity and ability to deform under stress. This can affect the speed, amplitude, and frequency of the waves traveling through the tube.

4. What are the practical applications of wave propagation in elastic tubes?

Wave propagation in elastic tubes has several practical applications, including in medical procedures like endoscopy, where a flexible tube with a camera is inserted into the body. It is also used in geophysics to study the properties of the Earth's interior, and in engineering for non-destructive testing of pipes and other structures.

5. What are the limitations of wave propagation in elastic tubes?

While wave propagation in elastic tubes has many useful applications, it also has limitations. For example, the size and shape of the tube can affect the speed and behavior of the waves, and the material properties of the tube can limit the types of waves that can be transmitted. Additionally, wave attenuation can occur in long tubes, leading to a decrease in wave amplitude over distance.