Third QG-Americas conference 24-26 August

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conference
In summary, Yidun Wan reminds people that the third QG-Americas conference will be held at Penn State. The conference program includes talks on Renormalization Group and Einstein Gravity, Loop Quantum Cosmology, Cosmology and Observations, Effective Descriptions, and Quantum Geometry and Matter. Friday's program includes Discrete Approaches, The Physical Sector of LQG, Spin Foams, and Mathematical Issues in LQG. Saturday's program includes Interface of Gravity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology, and Discussion and Summary.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
thanks to Yidun Wan for this reminder
http://www.wanyidun.com/blog_r2u/
the third QG-Americas conference will be held at Penn State

Conference Program

Thursday, August 24th:

1. 9:00-10:30 AM: Renormalization Group and Einstein Gravity. Chair: Max Niedermaier (max at phys.univ-tours.fr); Rapporteur: Frank Saueressig (40 minutes); Robert Oeckl (15)

2. 11:00-12:30PM: Loop Quantum Cosmology . Chair: David Craig (craigda at lemoyne.edu); Rapporteur: Parampreet Singh (40); Tomasz Pawlowski (15)

3. 2:00-3:30PM: Cosmology and Observations. Chair: Ted Jacobson (tajac at physics.umd.edu); Rapporteurs: Daniel Sudarsky and Nelson Nunes (25+10 each)

4. 4:00-5:30PM: Effective Descriptions. Chair: Martin Bojowald (bojowald at gravity.psu.edu); Rapporteurs: Laurent Friedel and Radu Roiban (25+10 each).

Friday, August 25th:

5. 9:00-10:30AM: Discrete Approaches. Chair: Rodolfo Gambini (rgambini at fisica.edu.uy); Rapporteurs: Luca Bombelli and Jorge Pullin. (25+10 each)

6. 11:00-12:30PM: The Physical Sector of LQG. Chair: Jorge Pullin (pullin at lsu.edu); Rapporteurs: Jerzy Lewandowski and Bianca Dittrich (25+10 each)

7. 2:00-3:30PM: Spin Foams. Chair: Laurent Freidel (lfreidel at perimeterinstitute.ca); Rapporteurs: Robert Oeckl and Florian Conrady (25+10 each)

8. 4:00PM-5:30PM: Quantum Geometry and Matter. Chair: Seth Major (smajor at hamilton.edu); Rapporteurs: Kevin Vandersloot, Mikhail Kagan (20+5 each) and Fotini Markopoulou (25+5)

Saturday, August 26th:

9. 9:00-10:30AM: Quantum Gravity Phenomenology. Chair: Daniel Sudarsky (sudarsky at nucleares.unam.mx); Rapporteur: David Mattingly (40)

10. 11:00-12:30PM: Mathematical Issues in LQG. Chair: Jerzy Lewandowski (jerzy.lewandowski at fuw.edu.pl); Speakers: Jonathan Engle, Jose-Antonio Zapata and Daniel Cartin/Gaurav Khanna (20+10 each)

11. 2:00-3:30PM: Interface of Gravity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology . Chair: Warner Miller (wam at fau.edu); Rapporteurs: Ted Jacobson and Stephon Alexander (25+10, each)

12. 4:00PM-5:30PM: Discussion and Summary. Chair: Alejandro Corichi (corichi at nucleares.unam.mx); Speakers: ..., Ashtekar

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
would anyone be willing to go to Yidun Wan's blog
http://www.wanyidun.com/blog_r2u/?p=85#respond
and ask him to report a bit?Yidun is there all right. L.S. told him to get his self down to Penn State
and take in the conference.

===================

BTW according to what Francesca said, Lee Smolin is not going to conferences these days because
of two important arrivals----only one of which is that of his new book.
If that's so, it will be an unusual QG conference if only because of Smolin's absence.

Dear Marcus,
Thanks for your advertising! I wrote a "not a report" last night. I guess it is not so satisfactory to really curious people. link: http://www.wanyidun.com .

lqg said:
Dear Marcus,
Thanks for your advertising! I wrote a "not a report" last night. I guess it is not so satisfactory to really curious people. link: http://www.wanyidun.com .

Yidun, thanks much!
I have not read your "Not-a" report yet. I will go do that now.
I hope you add to it, no matter how long it is!
Many of us have no window into that conference besides what you and others might blog about it.

regards,
M.

================
I read your blog and am delighted to learn that some audio of talks will be posted! I assume also PDF of lecture slides.
From past experience I can not believe that they will be posted within a week, however.

In your paragraph about Freidel's talk you may be making an accidental error similar to a typo.

"He tries formulate a generic framework of spin foam quantum gravity with qauntum field theory that recovers the classical gravity in 2+1 or 4+1 dimensions when G -> 0. This ..."

I think that in the zero gravity limit Freidel wants to recover USUAL QUANTUM FIELD THEORY---the field theory of usual Feynman diagrams for usual particle fields on a flat space.

I also believe he checks to see that he recovers classical gravity, but in another, different, limit. Maybe I am wrong but you might check to be sure. Also maybe you wrote 4+1 when you intended to write 3+1, but this doesn't matter much and indeed they seems to be always going up to 4+1 these days as a way of handling de-Sitter business.

thanks again for the report!
Please tell us when the lecture files are ready to listen to and watch.

Marcus,
Thanks for correcting the typo/mistakes for me. Yes, I did mean 3+1.:smile: Besides, I think Prof. Freidel wants to recover both QFT and GR. Since I paid too much attention to the inverse problem, I mistakenly wrote down GR in that case. I am going to correct them now.

great guy, I envy you that epic car trip + wide-ranging discussion reported on yr blog

1. What is the purpose of the Third QG-Americas conference?

The Third QG-Americas conference is a scientific meeting that aims to bring together researchers, scientists, and experts to discuss and exchange ideas about the latest advancements and discoveries in the field of quantum gravity.

2. When and where is the conference taking place?

The Third QG-Americas conference will be held from 24-26 August at a location that is yet to be determined. However, it is expected to take place in one of the countries in the Americas region.

3. Who can attend the conference?

The conference is open to all individuals who are interested in the field of quantum gravity, including scientists, researchers, students, and professionals from different disciplines.

4. What can attendees expect from the conference?

Attendees can expect to participate in keynote speeches, panel discussions, poster presentations, and networking opportunities with other experts in the field. There will also be opportunities to learn about the latest research and developments in quantum gravity.

5. How can one register for the conference?

Registration for the conference can be done online through the conference website. Details on registration fees and deadlines will be provided on the website as well.