How Does a Glass Block Affect the Convergence Point of Light Rays?

In summary, when a rectangular block of glass is placed in front of a screen with parallel light rays converging on it, the new convergence point of the rays will be inside the glass block. The rays will not converge on the screen, but will remain parallel and be offset to one side after exiting the block. This is due to the refraction of the rays at the interfaces of the block and the fact that the block does not act as a lens.
sweetgirl86
Two non-parallel light rays initially converge to a single point on a screen. A rectangular block of glass is now placed somewhere in front of the screen, in the path of the light rays, so that the glass surface is parallel to the screen. Where is the new convergence point of the rays?

1, Behind the screen.
2,On the screen (unchanged).
3, Inside the glass block.
4, Toward the glass block, in front of the screen.

I put inside the glass block, because i drew out the picture and i don't see the two rays converging at all because it is a glass block and not a concave lens. I drew a picture with the two rays entering then refracting towards the normal, and then refraction again when going out of the block, but this time away from the normal since its going from the glass to the air, and the speed of light in air is faster so the rays move away from the normal, which means that they don't converge on the screen at all. but that also means that they only converge at the initial point of contact which is when they first hit the block, but there is no option saying on the block, it just says inside the block. please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
The light rays exiting the block will run parallel to the rays entering the block. The exit rays is offset to one side with respect to the entry rays. This happens because the refraction angle at the first interface (air -> glass) becomes the incident angle at the second interface (glass -> air) and we therefore get the same refraction angle in air (from Snell's law) at the second interface as when the beam entered the glass block. Usually one find such a diagram in a basic physics handbook.

Last edited:
sweetgirl86 said:
I put inside the glass block, because i drew out the picture and i don't see the two rays converging at all because it is a glass block and not a concave lens.

You don't need a concave lens, you were told that the rays were already converging to a point on the screen. You are, in fact, right that the block does not act as any kind of lens and, so, does not change the convergence of the rays.

And so the rays stay on the screen (unchanged) ?

The rays are displaced off to one side, but they are still parallel to the original direction. Try drawing it.

Thanks for your help :-)

It's a pleasure.

1. What is refraction and how does it relate to glass blocks?

Refraction is the change in direction of light as it passes from one medium to another. Glass blocks are transparent objects that are able to refract light due to their molecular structure.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect refraction in glass blocks?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits the surface of a glass block, determines the amount of refraction that occurs. A higher angle of incidence will result in a greater amount of refraction.

3. What is the difference between refraction and reflection in glass blocks?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium, while reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface. In glass blocks, both refraction and reflection may occur depending on the angle and intensity of the light.

4. Can the speed of light be affected by refraction in glass blocks?

Yes, the speed of light can be affected by refraction in glass blocks. When light enters a glass block, it slows down due to the change in density, and then speeds up again as it exits the block. This change in speed is what causes the bending of light.

5. How do different types of glass blocks affect refraction?

The type of glass block used can affect the amount of refraction that occurs. For example, a block with a higher density will cause more refraction compared to a block with a lower density. Additionally, the shape and surface of the block can also impact refraction.