QM for Mathematicians - Does a Book Exist?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, there are several options for books on quantum mechanics for mathematicians, including "Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature" by Anthony Sudbery, "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians" by Robin Ticciati, and "Modern Physics for Mathematicians" from the links repository on Physics Forums.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does anyone know of a "quantum mechanics for mathematician" book?

I've seen "E&M for mathematicians" and "Relativity (special and general) for mathematician" books and like those, but I saw no QM ones.

Online or paper, doesn't matter. Does one exists?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
von Neumann's text would be the one to look at, so would Diracs' to start.

Did you try the links repository right here on PF?

https://www.physicsforums.com/local_links.php?catid=54

There's an entry "Modern Physics for Mathematicians".

Last edited by a moderator:
quasar987 said:
Does anyone know of a "quantum mechanics for mathematician" book?

I've seen "E&M for mathematicians" and "Relativity (special and general) for mathematician" books and like those, but I saw no QM ones.

Online or paper, doesn't matter. Does one exists?

Thanks

Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature: An Outline for Mathematicians by Anthony Sudbery.

Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians by Robin Ticciati.

Too tired to say more right now; I'll try and write a bit more about these books tomorrow.

von Neumann looks nice judging from the table of content.

Unfortunately Hurkyl, the link is dead. :(

Thanks GJ, I add those to my list of books to check out!

Hurkyl's link links to the Links section of PF. Go to the menu on top ->Links->Physics Resources->Quantum Mechanics.

Btw, the link is not dead. :)

1. What is QM for Mathematicians?

QM for Mathematicians is a field of study that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and mathematics. It is a theoretical framework that aims to understand and solve problems in quantum mechanics using mathematical tools and techniques.

2. Why is a book on QM for Mathematicians needed?

A book on QM for Mathematicians is needed because it provides a comprehensive and systematic approach to understanding the complex concepts of quantum mechanics using mathematical language. It also bridges the gap between the mathematical and physical aspects of quantum mechanics, making it easier for mathematicians to apply their knowledge to solve problems in this field.

3. Who is the target audience for QM for Mathematicians?

The target audience for QM for Mathematicians is primarily mathematicians who have a strong background in mathematical analysis, linear algebra, and abstract algebra. However, physicists and other scientists who are interested in the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics may also find this book useful.

4. What topics are covered in a book on QM for Mathematicians?

A book on QM for Mathematicians typically covers topics such as vector spaces, operators, Hilbert spaces, quantum states, observables, and measurement. It also delves into more advanced topics such as quantum entanglement, quantum information, and quantum computing.

5. Are there any recommended books on QM for Mathematicians?

Yes, there are several recommended books on QM for Mathematicians, including "Quantum Theory for Mathematicians" by Brian C. Hall, "Mathematical Foundations of Quantum Mechanics" by John von Neumann, and "Mathematical Methods in Quantum Mechanics" by Gerald Teschl. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your level of mathematical understanding and your specific interests in quantum mechanics.