What is the Magnitude of Force Exerted on a Meteorite Striking a Car at 530 m/s?

In summary, a 27 pound meteorite traveling at 530 m/s would create a force of 6.156 MN on a car dent it made.
PhyzicsOfHockey

Homework Statement

A 27 pound meteorite fell and struck a car, creating a dent about 28 cm deep. If the initial speed of the meteorite was 530 m/s, what was the magnitude of the average force exerted on the meteorite by the car?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need someone to tell me if my work is right.

I found the acceleration using Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad it came out to be-501,607 m/s^2

I to the mass of the meteorite 27/2.2= 12.273 kg and multiplied it my the acceleration and came up with 6.156 MN.

Did I do this problem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhyzicsOfHockey said:

Homework Statement

A 27 pound meteorite fell and struck a car, creating a dent about 28 cm deep. If the initial speed of the meteorite was 530 m/s, what was the magnitude of the average force exerted on the meteorite by the car?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need someone to tell me if my work is right.

I found the acceleration using Vf^2=Vi^2+2ad it came out to be-501,607 m/s^2

I to the mass of the meteorite 27/2.2= 12.273 kg and multiplied it my the acceleration and came up with 6.156 MN.

Did I do this problem right?
Not quite. Using F =ma gives you the net average force acting on the meteorite. Threre is more than one force acting. You are asked to find the force of the car on the meteorite.

PhanthomJay said:
Not quite. Using F =ma gives you the net average force acting on the meteorite. Threre is more than one force acting. You are asked to find the force of the car on the meteorite.

Isn't the force equal but opposite?

PhyzicsOfHockey said:
Isn't the force equal but opposite?

Your calculation seems right to me (I did not check the numbers, just the method)

Patrick

I suppose PhantomJay is referring to other forces on the meteorite such as its own weight.

Its weight of 12.273*9.8 N = 0.00012 MN is negligible compared to the force caused by the impact, so it is reasonable to ignore it.

The question doesn't say what direction the meteorite was travelling, and if you have ever seen a "shooting star", there is no reason to assume it would be falling vertically downwards. So even if you did want to include the weight, you don't know how to add the two force vectors.

AlephZero said:
I suppose PhantomJay is referring to other forces on the meteorite such as its own weight.

Its weight of 12.273*9.8 N = 0.00012 MN is negligible compared to the force caused by the impact, so it is reasonable to ignore it.

The question doesn't say what direction the meteorite was travelling, and if you have ever seen a "shooting star", there is no reason to assume it would be falling vertically downwards. So even if you did want to include the weight, you don't know how to add the two force vectors.
Yes, I was referring to the weight, however, you are correct, it is negligible and the direction is unknown anyway. I should have looked at the numbers first.

PhanthomJay said:
I should have looked at the numbers first.

So should the person who invented the question, IMO. A 27 lb meteorite traveling at 530 m/sec wouldn't make a 28 cm deep dent in the car, it would make a hole in the roof and another hole in the floor.

(I've worked on what happens when parts of jet engines break, and I know how much damage a 20 lb object traveling at "only" 200 m/sec can do, because I've seen the results of the experiment).

1. How often do meteorites actually fall on cars?

According to NASA, it is estimated that about 500 meteorites reach the Earth's surface each year, but only a small percentage of those actually hit cars. So while it is rare, it does happen.

2. What are the chances of a meteorite falling on my car?

The chances of a meteorite falling on your car are extremely low. The Earth's surface is mostly covered by water and uninhabited areas, making it unlikely for a car to be hit. Additionally, the odds of being in the exact location where a meteorite falls are also very slim.

3. How much damage can a meteorite falling on a car cause?

The amount of damage a meteorite can cause to a car depends on its size and speed upon impact. Smaller meteorites may cause minor damage such as dents, while larger ones can potentially cause significant damage or even total destruction of the car.

4. Has anyone ever been injured by a meteorite falling on a car?

While there have been reports of injuries caused by meteorites, there have been no documented cases of someone being directly injured by a meteorite falling on a car. The most common injuries associated with meteorites are from fragments or debris hitting individuals on the ground.

5. What should I do if a meteorite falls on my car?

If a meteorite does happen to fall on your car, the first thing to do is stay calm and assess the situation. If there is significant damage or any injuries, call emergency services immediately. Otherwise, document the event and contact your insurance company to report the incident and file a claim.