Sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture

In summary, Muslim artists discovered all 17 regular tilings of the plane, long before westerners proved that this exhausted the possibilities using their "Group theory". Although their "proof by example" may not have met the standards of rigor, the fact remains that they held it as a theorem in their day. It is possible that they had a more rigorous proof, as seen in the example of the Konigsberg bridge problem. It is also worth noting that mathematicians have been utilizing Islamic tile patterns for decades in research and education.
turbo
Gold Member
I found this quite interesting. Enjoy.

http://www.physics.harvard.edu/~plu/publications/Science_315_1106_2007.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Muslim artists discovered all 17 regular tilings of the plane, long before westerners proved that this exhausted the possibilities using their "Group theory".

discovering 17 regular tilings is strictly distinct from showing that there are precisely 17 regular tilings.

discovering 17 regular tilings is strictly distinct from showing that there are precisely 17 regular tilings.

Granted, but its not as if they coincendentally stopped at 17. A mosque in Delambre has 17 tilings, each one representing one of the symmetry groups.

The muslim artists had clearly convinced themselves, within their standards of proof, that there were exactly 17 regular tilings of the plane.

Granted their 'proof by example' is not acceptable by our standards, but that is a judgement issue of rigor, what is not in doubt is that they held it as a theorem in their day.

Crosson said:
Granted their 'proof by example' is not acceptable by our standards, but that is a judgement issue of rigor, what is not in doubt is that they held it as a theorem in their day.

I, for one, doubt that they held it as a theorem.

I, for one, doubt that they held it as a theorem.

Alright, I concede.

Consider the 'bridges of Konigsberg" problem, treated by Euler. I am sure that many people accepted that such a circuit was impossible who did not posess a proof. Because the problem of classifying plane tilings is more difficult then the Konigsberg bridge problem, I am impressed that these artists solved the problem in so far as they did.

btw, folks, there is an article in the NY Times about this as well today (2/27).

Incidentally, it is *unknown* how much the designers of these patterns knew about the mathematics involved. It is entirely possible that someone during the, oh, about 500 years of the Islamic middle ages derived what we would call a rigorous proof of the existence of the 17 regular tilings or of the quasicrystal tilings. One should always try to leave one's cultural biases at the door when exploring these types of topics. Our group-theoretical mechanics of proving the former may not be the only way.

What I'm curious, though, is why the physicists are getting all the press about this. Mathematicians -- particularly, mathematical educators -- have been utilizing Islamic tile patterns for decades both as research and as a method to teach geometrical thinking.

What is sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture?

Sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture refers to the intricate and decorative use of tiles in buildings during the Middle Ages in the Middle East. It was a popular form of architectural ornamentation and was used to create beautiful and complex geometric patterns.

What types of tiles were used in sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture?

The most commonly used tiles were ceramic and porcelain. These were often hand-painted with intricate designs and glazed for a glossy finish. Other materials such as marble, stone, and glass were also used for more luxurious and expensive projects.

What were the purposes of sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture?

Sophisticated tiling served both functional and aesthetic purposes. The tiles were used to cover walls, floors, and ceilings, providing protection against weather and creating a more visually appealing space. They were also used to display wealth and status, as the cost of creating and installing such intricate designs was high.

How were the tiles arranged in sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture?

The tiles were arranged in a variety of patterns and designs, such as geometric shapes, arabesques, and calligraphy. These patterns were often symmetrical and repetitive, creating a sense of harmony and balance in the space. The tiles were also carefully placed and aligned to create a seamless and uniform appearance.

What influence did sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture have on other cultures?

The use of sophisticated tiling in Medieval ME architecture had a significant influence on the development of tile design and architecture in other cultures. It was particularly influential in the Byzantine and Islamic world, as well as in Europe during the Renaissance period. The intricate patterns and use of geometric shapes continue to be used in contemporary architecture and design.