Exploring the Intersection of Quantum Mechanics & Astrophysics

In summary, the student is looking for a topic to present in all of their classes. They are limited in their knowledge of astrophysics, but are interested in everything. They are taking a quantum mechanics course, an introduction to astrophysics course, and a seminar class. They are looking for a topic that has been written about in a scientific journal recently (past 5 years or so), understand it well enough that they can present the material and give a review of the article.
judonight
Ok, so I need a topic to present.

I am taking Quantum mechanics, introduction to astrophysics, and a seminar class... I need a topic for a 30-40 minute presentation for each class, and was wondering if there are any interesting topics that tie QM and astro together... thus, one presentation that I can do in all three classes.

I am welcome to any and all ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe about Fermi pressure in stars, or BB radiation if it counts as Quantum enough... What should the level be, what were the topics covered?

As per Ahmes, would be good to have a bit more information on what kind of astrophysics you've covered so far? Is this your first astronomy course?

Obviously there's plenty of astrophysical subjects that use quantum mechanics, but if you've covered sufficient material then maybe you have a particular area of interest you'd like to see how it could be applied?

(worth checking I feel, I assume you've already checked you would indeed be allowed to cover at least the same subject in each class?)

Yes, the same topic can be used in all three classes.

Astrophysics is an 'intro' class, so yeah, my knowledge is limited. It is basically a topic's class, so we haven't 'covered' much, other than spectroscopy and tools/instruments/satellites/observatories that measure different radiant sources (across the entire spectrum).

This is my first Quantum course as well; although a lot of what we are covering has been covered in a 'modern phyiscs' course that I took last semester. 'Modern physics' was more of an intro to quantum, so I understand the basics... wells, barriers, uncertainty principle, postulates, Schrodinger Equation 1 and 3-D, etc...

All are undergrad classes, so I feel like my knowledge is extremely limited, but I wouldn't say that my boundries to new topics is limited. The assignment for all three classes is the same: we are to find a topic that has been written about in a scientific journal recently (past 5 years or so), understand it well enough that we can present the material and give a review of the article.

I can't say that I have a specific interest in anything, rather I have a broad interest in everything. I do plan on going into Medical physics after my undergrad, but linking medical physics to an astrophysics topic is really stretching it.

TIA!

Last edited:

1. What is the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics?

The intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics is the area of study that combines the principles of quantum mechanics, which deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, with the study of celestial objects and phenomena in astrophysics. This field aims to understand the fundamental laws of nature that govern the behavior of the universe on both the smallest and largest scales.

2. What are some examples of quantum mechanics in astrophysics?

There are several examples of quantum mechanics in astrophysics, including the behavior of subatomic particles in extreme environments, such as black holes and neutron stars, the study of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the behavior of light and particles in the early universe. Additionally, quantum mechanics is essential in understanding the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.

3. How does quantum mechanics impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum mechanics has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and energy. It has also helped us explain complex phenomena such as the behavior of particles in extreme environments and the origins of the universe. Quantum mechanics also plays a crucial role in developing theories and models in astrophysics.

4. What are the current challenges in exploring the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics?

One of the current challenges in this field is the difficulty in reconciling the principles of quantum mechanics with those of general relativity, which is the theory of gravity. Additionally, studying quantum phenomena on a cosmic scale requires advanced technology and techniques, making it a costly and complex endeavor.

5. How does understanding the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics benefit us?

Understanding the intersection of quantum mechanics and astrophysics can lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe and advance our technology in fields such as space exploration and telecommunications. It also has the potential to pave the way for new discoveries and applications in other areas of science and technology.