Conducting Wire Homework: Find J0 & B Inside Wire

In summary, the current density of a long, straight conducting wire with radius R is nonuniform and can be expressed as J=J0*r/R, where J0 is a constant. The wire carries a total current I. To find J0, use the equation J0=I/(pi*R^2). To find the magnetic field strength inside the wire at radius r, use the equation B=u0*I*r/(2*pi*R^2).
dtesselstrom

Homework Statement

A long, straight conducting wire of radius R has a nonuniform current density J=J0*r/R, where J0 is a constant. The wire carries total current I.
Find an expression for J_0 in terms of I and R.
Find an expression for the magnetic field strength inside the wire at radius r.

Homework Equations

J=I/A
B*ds = u0*I

The Attempt at a Solution

So from my book it looks like J0=I/A which is Jo=I/(pi*R^2) which says it is off by a multiplication factor not sure where I am going wrong here. As for the second portion I got B= uo*I*r/(2*pi*R^2) which is also wrong so any help on this would be much helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since J is a function of r, it will be constant for a thin cylindrical shell centered on the wire. Adding up the current in all these shells will equal I.

To find J0, we can use the equation J=I/A, where A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. Since the current density is given as J=J0*r/R, we can substitute this into the equation to get J0=I/(pi*R^2), which is the correct expression for J0 in terms of I and R.

To find the magnetic field strength inside the wire, we can use the equation B*ds = u0*I, where B is the magnetic field strength and ds is the differential length of the wire. Since the wire is straight, we can assume that the magnetic field is also straight. Therefore, we can use the equation B=u0*I/(2*pi*r), where r is the distance from the center of the wire. Substituting the given current density, we get B=u0*J0*r/2, which is the correct expression for the magnetic field strength inside the wire at radius r.

1. What is "Conducting Wire Homework"?

"Conducting Wire Homework" refers to a specific task or assignment given to students studying electrical engineering or physics. It typically involves finding the current density (J0) and magnetic field (B) inside a conducting wire.

2. Why is it important to find J0 and B inside a conducting wire?

Knowing the current density and magnetic field inside a conducting wire is crucial for understanding how electricity and magnetism interact. It can also help in designing electrical circuits and devices.

3. What is the process for finding J0 and B inside a conducting wire?

The process involves using mathematical equations and principles, such as Ohm's Law and Ampere's Law, to calculate the values of J0 and B. This requires knowledge of the wire's dimensions, material properties, and any external magnetic fields present.

4. What are some common challenges in solving the "Conducting Wire Homework"?

Some common challenges include understanding and correctly applying the relevant equations, dealing with complex geometries or materials, and accounting for external factors that may affect the results.

5. How can I check if my answers for J0 and B inside a conducting wire are correct?

One way to check your answers is by comparing them with known values or results from similar problems. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure you have accounted for all relevant factors. If possible, you can also ask a teacher or classmate to review your work.