Prove or Disprove: if a | bc, then a|b or a|c

• Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof or disproof of the statement that if a|bc, where a, b, and c are positive integers, then a|b or a|c. The participants use examples and prime factorization to understand the statement and ultimately disprove it by showing a counterexample. They also discuss the importance of prime numbers in understanding divisibility.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove that if a|bc, where a, b, and c are positive integers, then a|b or a|c.

Homework Equations

Division! LOL...

The Attempt at a Solution

Try a proof by contradiction.

Suppose that a|b and a|c are both NOT true. Then... what?

I really, really, really super suck at proofs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stop thinking about writing proofs. Just think about the statement. Write down a few examples, try to see what is happening.

Let's try a = 42, b = 3, c = 7.

[tex]\frac{a}{bc}\,=\,\frac{42}{21}\,=\,2\,\longrightarrow\,a|bc[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a}{b}\,=\,\frac{42}{3}\,=\,14\,\longrightarrow\,a|b[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a}{c}\,=\,\frac{42}{7}\,=\,6\,\longrightarrow\,a|c[/tex]

I don't think that there is a way to choose a, b and c such that a|b or a|c are not true. But how do I "show" such?

a is supposed to divide bc. How does 42 divide 21?

Let's try a = 42, b = 3, c = 7.

[tex]\frac{bc}{a}\,=\,\frac{21}{42}\,=\,0.5\,\longrightarrow\,a|bc\,not\,true[/tex]

[tex]\frac{b}{a}\,=\,\frac{3}{42}\,=\,0.071\,\longrightarrow\,a|b\,not\,true[/tex]

[tex]\frac{c}{a}\,=\,\frac{7}{42}\,=\,0.167\,\longrightarrow\,a|c\,not\,true[/tex]
Let's try different numbers...

a = 7, b = 3, c = 14, bc = 42

[tex]\frac{bc}{a}\,=\,\frac{42}{7}\,=\,6\,\longrightarrow\,a|bc\,is\,true[/tex]

[tex]\frac{b}{a}\,=\,\frac{3}{7}\,=\,0.428\,\longrightarrow\,a|b\,is\,NOT\,true[/tex]

[tex]\frac{c}{a}\,=\,\frac{14}{7}\,=\,2\,\longrightarrow\,a|c\,is\,true[/tex]

This only "shows" for these exact values of a, b, and c. How do I show for all a, b, and c?

So from one example you think it is true for all examples? try some more. if you just thnk about prime factorization, rather thatn actually putting numbers into a calculator, it becomes easy.

Prime factorization?

Dividing by two until the number is no longer divisible by two to get a prime at the end?

I don't see how that applies to this proof though.

Sigh.
Every number divides itself. What if a number is not prime?

A number is not prime when it can be divided by a number other than itself or one.

So 6, say, divides 6. 6 isn't prime, so how can you write 6 as the product of 2 smaller numbers?

3 * 2 = 6, yes, it is not prime.

How does this help with the proof though? I just don't understand how I am supposed to use prime numbers to prove anything about divisibility.

So 6 divides 2*3. Now, what does the question ask?

Prove or disprove:

if a divides bc then a divides b or b divides c.

Now do you see? And do you see why primes are important?

I still don't get it!

a = 6, b = 2, c = 3, bc = 6

[tex]\frac{bc}{a}\,=\,\frac{6}{6}\,=\,1[/tex] <----- claim holds

[tex]\frac{b}{a}\,=\,\frac{2}{6}\,=\,\frac{1}{3}[/tex] <----- claim does NOT hold

[tex]\frac{c}{a}\,=\,\frac{3}{6}\,=\,\frac{1}{2}[/tex] <----- claim does NOT hold

I guess using this case, the claim is disproved?

Good! You have disproved the claim. If you want some more insight into what's going on think about what would happen if the claim were a|bc AND a is prime implies a|b or a|c. Then would the conclusion hold?

1. What does "a | bc" mean in the statement "if a | bc, then a|b or a|c"?

The symbol "|" in math notation means "divides". So "a | bc" means "a divides bc", or in other words, a is a factor of bc.

2. Can you give an example to illustrate the statement "if a | bc, then a|b or a|c"?

Sure, let's say a = 2, b = 4, and c = 6. Then a | bc because 2 divides 24. And since 2 is a factor of 4 and 6, we can say that a | b and a | c as well.

3. Is the statement "if a | bc, then a|b or a|c" always true?

Yes, this statement is known as the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that any integer can be factored into a unique product of primes. So if a is a prime factor of bc, it must also be a prime factor of either b or c (or both).

4. What is the difference between "if a | bc, then a|b or a|c" and "if a | b and a | c, then a | bc"?

The first statement is a sufficient condition, meaning that if a divides bc, then it must also divide either b or c. The second statement is a necessary condition, meaning that if a divides both b and c, then it must also divide their product bc.

5. How can we use the statement "if a | bc, then a|b or a|c" in a proof?

This statement can be used as a tool in proving other theorems or statements. For example, if we need to prove that a certain number is composite (not prime), we can show that it has at least two distinct prime factors by using this statement. We can also use it to simplify algebraic expressions or solve number theory problems.