Military Standards / ANSI / Mil Spec

• Thread starter dingpud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Military
In summary: IHS Specifications and Standards is a great resource for finding military specs. They have a subscription service that you can use to unlimited times. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.The drawings that the government uses have a universal part numbering system. There are not many web-sites that list these parts, but IHS Specifications and Standards is a good place to start.
dingpud
Does anyone know of a good cross reference that shows the descriptions of different Military Standards / ANSI / Mil Spec descriptions?

Most web-sites that sell Mil Spec / ANSI hardware can tell you the description of 1 item (after requesting a quote), but I am looking for a .PDF file, or an internet search database that has all of this information tied togtether.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

pud

Engineering news on Phys.org
My company pays a subscription service for just that very thing. IHS specs and standards is a searchable database. I doubt you'll find any one-stop-shop reference for free on the net.

What kind of specs are you looking at? Hardware? Electrical components?

Primarily Hardware, and Specs on shipping. I cannot believe that there is a multitude of mil-spec shipping tapes...

did find one site, but it has some issues at times...

https://www.webflis.dlis.dla.mil/WEBFLIS/pub/pub_search.aspx

pud

Last edited by a moderator:
by the way, love your quotes...

as per the subscription, which one is it? Unlimited searches? About how much does it cost for the year? Would you suggest the subscription vs. buying the spec individually?

thanks

Last edited:
If you are looking for a limited number of specs, then it would make the most sense to simply buy what you need. In my case, we deal with hundreds (if not more) specs. It would be a financial burden to buy all of them and hire someone to constantly keep them all current and updated. A subscription service does that for you.

I can not say how much the service costs a year. It can't be cheap though.

yeah, I've seen some, prices ranging from the hundereds to the thousands...

since you deal with 100's, are you one of the Boeings, L-3's, Lock-Marts, or Northrops?

just a guess.

I was an L-3, but decided that a downsize would be best for me... (so far it's been great)

pud

None of the above. I work for an engine manufacturer so I would be considered a supplier to those guys.

got ya.

Here's another question that you might be able to shine some light on. The government has drawings of parts, and they use a universal part numbering system for every drawing that they produce (as far as I know). Do you know if there are any web-sites, or subscriptions, which have these parts listed? Also, solid (computer generated solids) would be phenomenal.

i know that i could probably ask the customer directly for this, and i probably will, but I was curious if there was something out there that hasn't shown up on my typical google searches.

:biggrin:

I always seem to have a lot of success finding military standards and specs at

http://www.everyspec.com"

Plus, they are all free.

I always go there first, to see if they have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a neat site, but I suspect they will only show canceled or out of date copies. The first two random specs I looked up were canceled and supersceded.

1. What are military standards (MIL-STD)?

Military standards, also known as MIL-STD, are a set of guidelines and requirements established by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to ensure that equipment, materials, and processes used by the military meet certain performance and reliability standards. These standards are used to ensure consistency, interoperability, and safety across all branches of the military.

2. What is the difference between ANSI and Mil Spec?

ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards are voluntary, consensus-based standards that are developed and maintained by industry experts, while MIL-STDs are mandatory standards established by the DoD for military equipment and materials. While ANSI standards may be referenced in Mil Specs, they are not interchangeable.

3. Who sets military standards?

Military standards are set by the DoD through various agencies, such as the Defense Standardization Program (DSP) and the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). These agencies work with industry partners and other government agencies to develop and update Mil Specs as needed.

4. How are military standards enforced?

The DoD enforces Mil Specs through contracts and procurement processes. Companies and manufacturers must adhere to the specified standards in order to be eligible for military contracts. The DoD also conducts audits and inspections to ensure compliance with Mil Specs.

5. Are military standards only applicable to the military?

While military standards are primarily developed for and used by the military, they can also be used by other industries, such as aerospace and defense contractors, to ensure their products meet high performance and reliability standards. In some cases, government agencies may also adopt Mil Specs for their own use.