What is the proper way to read subscripts in Mathematics?

In summary, when reading subscripts in mathematics, confusion can arise when encountering functions with two arguments, one of which is indicated using a subscript. For example, L_n(X) can be confused with Ln(X), where one is read as "L sub n" and the other as "Ln". To avoid confusion, it is recommended to use "L sub n" and "log" when reading these equations. Additionally, it is common for certain standard functions, such as the natural logarithm, to be written upright in equations.
GPhab
What is the proper way to read subscripts in Mathematics? Sometimes we come across functions with two arguments, where one of them is indicated using subscripts and in such situations, there is scope for confusion.
Eg:[tex]L_n[/tex](X) can be confused with Ln(X)
We can produce many more examples like this

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suppose you mean [tex]L_n(X)[/tex] can be confused with [tex]Ln(X)[/tex]

one is imply Ln, the other is "L sub n" or "L index n"

Also, when [tex]Ln(x)[/tex] refers to the logarithm (natural base) it is usually written upright, as in [tex]\ln(x)[/tex] or [tex]\operatorname{Ln}(x)[/tex]. Usually, only certain standard functions have more than one letter, at least, I rarely call my functions other than [tex]f(x), \phi(z), \Psi(\vec r), \cdots[/tex], never fn(x), crv(x, y, z) or wf(r) :smile:

[edit]I just consciously read the topic title -- my above post doesn't really make sense does it?
In your example, if I had to read the equation out to someone and confusion might arise, I'd probably use "L sub n" for one and "log" for the other. :smile:
[/edit]

Last edited:
I actually say out the whole thing, it irritates all my friends >.< Eg [tex]\frac{d}{dx} f(x) [/tex]. My friends say "dee- dee x, eff, x" and i say "The derivative of eff x with respect to x". For this example it would be "The Natural Logarithm of x" as opposed to "The function L sub n, evaluated at x".

1. How do you identify a subscript in a mathematical expression?

Subscripts are numbers or letters that are written below and to the right of a variable or symbol. They are used to indicate a specific element or term within a larger expression.

2. Can subscripts be used in any type of mathematical operation?

Yes, subscripts can be used in various mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They can also be used in equations and functions.

3. How do you read a subscript in a mathematical expression?

Subscripts are read as a modifier to the variable or symbol that they are attached to. For example, in the expression x2, the subscript 2 modifies the value of x.

4. Are there any rules for using subscripts in mathematical expressions?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when using subscripts in mathematical expressions. Subscripts must always be written in a smaller font and should not be confused with exponents. Additionally, subscripts must be consistent in their placement and should not be used to indicate multiplication between variables.

5. Can subscripts be used in both numbers and letters?

Yes, subscripts can be used with both numbers and letters. They are commonly used in chemistry and physics to indicate the number of atoms or molecules in a compound, as well as in mathematics to indicate different variables or terms within an equation.