Finding Determinant of Matrix in MATLAB using Laplace Expansion

In summary, the Laplace expansion method is a mathematical algorithm used to calculate the determinant of a square matrix. MATLAB has built-in functions that use this method to find the determinant of a matrix, making it quick and efficient. It can be used for any size matrix, but may become computationally intensive for larger matrices. However, it is limited to square matrices and may not be efficient for matrices with repeating values or a significant number of zeros. Overall, it is a reliable method with some potential for rounding errors or inaccuracies.
sara_87
i have a matrix:
A=[2 1 1 1; 6 2 4 3; 8 -1 -3 4; 10 0 2 5]
i have to find the determinant by doing a laplace expansion with respect to the last row.
how do i do this on matlab.
can someone please tell me what to write on the mfile.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the determinant, just use det(A)

- Warren

yeah i know and i found the answer but i have to check my answer by doing a laplace expansion with respect to the last row.
how do i do that?
;)

1. What is the Laplace expansion method for finding the determinant of a matrix?

The Laplace expansion method is a mathematical algorithm used to calculate the determinant of a square matrix. It involves breaking down the matrix into smaller submatrices and using a specific formula to calculate the determinant of each submatrix. The determinants of the submatrices are then combined to find the determinant of the original matrix.

2. How does MATLAB use the Laplace expansion method to find the determinant of a matrix?

MATLAB has built-in functions, such as det() and linsolve(), that use the Laplace expansion method to calculate the determinant of a matrix. These functions allow you to input a matrix and then return the determinant as a numerical value, making it a quick and efficient way to find the determinant of a matrix in MATLAB.

3. Can the Laplace expansion method be used for any size matrix in MATLAB?

Yes, the Laplace expansion method can be used for any size square matrix in MATLAB. However, as the size of the matrix increases, the number of submatrices and calculations also increase, making it more computationally intensive. It is recommended to use other methods, such as LU decomposition, for larger matrices to improve efficiency.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace expansion method in MATLAB?

One limitation of the Laplace expansion method in MATLAB is that it can only be used for square matrices. Additionally, if the matrix has a large number of repeating values or a significant number of zeros, the method may not be the most efficient way to find the determinant.

5. How accurate is the Laplace expansion method for finding the determinant of a matrix in MATLAB?

The Laplace expansion method is a reliable method for finding the determinant of a matrix in MATLAB. However, as with any numerical method, there may be some rounding errors or inaccuracies in the results. It is always recommended to double-check the results and consider using other methods for increased accuracy.