Solving for Seesaw Balance: Mass and Distance Relationship

• Thread starter BrooklynBees
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machines
In summary, the problem involves two children riding on a seesaw with a length of 3.0m and a fulcrum in the middle. One child has a mass of 20.0kg and the other has a mass of 28.0kg. The seesaw is assumed to be 100% efficient. The question asks which child sits at the end and how far in the other child sits for the seesaw to be ridden effectively. The solution is that the child with a mass of 20.0kg sits at the end of the seesaw and the other child sits 2.14m away from the fulcrum. This is determined by the equation Wo = Wi, where Wo is the output force
BrooklynBees
[SOLVED] Simple Machines Proble,

Homework Statement

Two kids are riding on a seesaw that is 3.0m long with its fulcrum exactly in the middle. When one end touches the ground, the other end is 1.4m in the air. If one child has a mass of 20.0kg and the other is 28.0kg, which child sits at the end of the seesaw and how far in does the other child sit so they can ride the seesaw effectively? Assume 100% efficiency for the seesaw.

Homework Equations

[I'm not sure if all these are needed, but these are the equations we were given in this unit]
Wi = Fi x Di
Wo = Fo x Do
MA = Fo / Fi
IMA = Di / Do
%eff = Wo / Wi or MA / IMA

The Attempt at a Solution

Umm I know from class that the answer is x = 2.14 m , but I don't know how to get there.
The stuff I attempted is majorly messed. I know it's wrong but I have no clue what to do. I basically found the Di and Do for each kid and subtracted them or something. I'm not even sure anymore. Lol..

Physics news on Phys.org
When is the seesaw ridden effectively? Is that related to total moment about the fulcrum in any way?

When Fo is greater than Fi?
That might be it.

*edit* JUST KIDDING! It's actually that Wo has to be equal to Wi.

Last edited:
Right, but have you understood?

Lol, I guess I do now that I figured that out. Nevermind!

What are simple machines and how do they work?

Simple machines are basic mechanical devices that help make work easier by changing the direction or magnitude of a force. They work by utilizing principles of physics, such as leverage, to reduce the amount of force needed to perform a task.

What are the six types of simple machines?

The six types of simple machines are the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, inclined plane, wedge, and screw. These machines can be combined in different ways to create more complex machines.

How do simple machines make work easier?

Simple machines make work easier by reducing the force needed to move an object or perform a task. For example, a lever can help lift heavy objects by using a small force over a longer distance to lift the object a shorter distance.

What are some real-life examples of simple machines?

Real-life examples of simple machines include a seesaw (lever), a bicycle (wheel and axle), a flag pole (pulley), a ramp (inclined plane), a doorstop (wedge), and a jar lid (screw).

What are some common problems associated with simple machines?

Common problems associated with simple machines include friction, wear and tear, and mechanical failures. These problems can affect the efficiency and effectiveness of simple machines and may require maintenance or repairs to fix.