Electric Force Between Water and Chlorine

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric force exerted by a water molecule with a dipole moment of 6.17 x 10^-31 C*m on a chlorine ion located at a distance of 3.00*10^-3 m. Various equations, including the electric dipole moment equation and the force equation, are mentioned and there is a suggestion to find the electric field first before calculating the force. The possibility of using reduced charge is also briefly discussed.
dchrisma

Homework Statement

The dipole moment of the water molecule is 6.17 x 10^-31 C*m . Consider a water molecule located at the origin whose dipole moment points in the +x-direction. A chlorine ion , of charge -1.60*10^-19, is located at x= 3.00*10^-3 m.

Assume that x is much larger than the separation d between the charges in the dipole, so that the approximate expression for the electric field along the dipole axis can be used.

Question: Find the magnitude of the electric force that the water molecule exerts on the chlorine ion.

Homework Equations

p=qd

F= k(q1q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do at this point. I tried to use the electric dipole moment equation to find the charge of the water molecule since p and d
were given. Knowing that charge, I placed the variables into the force equation but to no avail. There's definitely more to this than I'm seeing. Isn't that force equation only related to point charges? I don't believe either particle is a point charge in this case. Can someone send me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of dipole equations do you have? I'll give you a couple equations I know

[tex]V_{dip} = k \frac{\mathbf{p} \cdot \mathbf{\hat{r}}}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]\matbf{p} = q \mathbf{d}[/tex]

Your method sounds correct if your equations and work are correct, perhaps you could post those also? Find the electric field of the dipole, and then use the fact that F=qE.

First find E vector through [kp{1+3cos^2x}^1\2]/r^3 (r=distance from middle point of dipole to the treated charge i.e. Cl ion.) For your case it will reduced as [2kp/r^3] and then use Electric Force= Charge * Electric Field, hope this will derive the proper answer. [For P (Charge*Distance).] In this operation we believe Cl charge is pretty minor.

This case can be made more interesting if we consider another dipole instead of Cl ion, in that case Electric Force will be proportional to (Distance)^-4 I think.

I got a strange idea as well, can we take "Reduced Charge" like we do for mass, means geometric mean of that? I know it's a bit hilarious as we are quite sure about quantization of charge and not the case with mass :)

I think I won't be able to track it back as very less active over internet, if someone has something obliging then can suggest @ nucleusfermi@yahoo.co.in

Last edited:

1. What is the electric force between water and chlorine?

The electric force between water and chlorine is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between the positively charged hydrogen atoms in water and the negatively charged chlorine atoms. This force is responsible for holding the atoms together in a molecule and determining the physical and chemical properties of water and chlorine.

2. How does the electric force between water and chlorine affect the properties of water?

The electric force between water and chlorine contributes to the strong intermolecular forces that hold water molecules together, giving water its high surface tension and unique ability to form hydrogen bonds. Additionally, the polarity of water molecules, caused by the unequal distribution of charge due to the electric force between water and chlorine, allows water to dissolve many substances and makes it an excellent solvent.

3. What factors influence the strength of the electric force between water and chlorine?

The strength of the electric force between water and chlorine is influenced by the distance between the atoms, the size and charge of the atoms, and the dielectric constant of the medium in which they are located. Generally, the closer the atoms are to each other and the greater the difference in their charges, the stronger the electric force will be.

4. How does the electric force between water and chlorine contribute to the stability of the water molecule?

The electric force between water and chlorine is responsible for the stable arrangement of atoms in a water molecule. The negatively charged chlorine atom attracts the positively charged hydrogen atoms, creating a bent structure that allows for the maximum attraction between them. This stability contributes to the overall stability of water molecules and their ability to form strong intermolecular forces.

5. Can the electric force between water and chlorine be broken or disrupted?

Yes, the electric force between water and chlorine can be disrupted by external forces or changes in the surrounding environment. For example, heating water can disrupt the intermolecular forces and cause water molecules to move further apart. Similarly, adding other substances to water can affect the strength of the electric force and change the physical and chemical properties of water and chlorine.