Grinding of MoS2 by a ball mill

• Thread starter mma50
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses the grinding of MoS2 using a ball mill to achieve a particle size below one micron. The individual has used a plastic vial, Al2O3 balls, isopropanol alcohol and MoS2 in the process, but after 72 hours, the desired particle size was not achieved. It is suggested to try n-decane instead of IPA and a smaller ratio of decane to MoS2, as well as different bead sizes. A reference claims success with this method after 10 hours of milling.
mma50
[SOLVED] grinding of MoS2 by a ball mill

Hello ,
Particle size of exist MoS2 is under 30micron and I have to change them to below one micron by a ball mill. I have to use a plastic vial for my application as a mill. I select 40cc plastic bottle as a mill, 48 number of Al2O3 balls (1gr each), 20cc isopropanol alcohol and 3 gr MoS2. Size of the particles were examined each 5 hr by SEM. Unfortunately after 72 hr particles did not have favourable size and many of the particles had large size. Regarding MoS2 has very soft structure (hardness 1-1.5), why I couldn’t get good result? In the wet milling what is good proportion between balls, powder and the liquid?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try n-decane instead of IPA. This reference claims to get nanoscale particles after 10 hrs of milling.

http://www.aist.go.jp/NIMC/publication/annual99/09/09_15.html

Also, I would try a smaller ratio (10-15cc of decane for 3g of MoS2). And finally, you may need to try different bead sizes too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experiment on grinding MoS2 by a ball mill. It seems like you have carefully selected your materials and conditions for the milling process, but unfortunately, you did not achieve the desired particle size after 72 hours.

There could be several reasons for this. One possible explanation is that the soft structure of MoS2 makes it difficult to achieve a fine particle size with ball milling. MoS2 has a layered structure, and the layers can easily slide over each other, making it challenging to reduce the particle size.

In addition, the wet milling process can also affect the particle size. The proportion between balls, powder, and liquid is crucial in achieving a fine particle size. If the ratio is not optimal, it can lead to agglomeration of particles, resulting in a larger particle size.

I would suggest trying different ratios of balls, powder, and liquid to find the optimal conditions for your specific application. It might also be helpful to consult with other researchers who have worked with MoS2 and have experience with ball milling. They may have some insights on the best practices and conditions for obtaining a fine particle size of MoS2.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your experiments. Keep exploring and experimenting, and you will eventually find the solution.

1. What is the purpose of grinding MoS2 by a ball mill?

The purpose of grinding MoS2 by a ball mill is to reduce the particle size of the material to a desired level. This can improve the material's properties and make it more suitable for various applications.

2. How does a ball mill work for grinding MoS2?

A ball mill works by rotating a cylinder filled with grinding media, such as steel balls or ceramic beads, which collide with the MoS2 particles and break them down into smaller sizes. The grinding action is controlled by the speed of the mill, the size and type of grinding media, and the duration of grinding.

3. What are the advantages of grinding MoS2 by a ball mill?

The advantages of grinding MoS2 by a ball mill include improved material properties, such as increased surface area and reactivity, as well as a more uniform particle size distribution. It also allows for the production of larger quantities of material in a shorter amount of time compared to other grinding methods.

4. Are there any limitations to grinding MoS2 by a ball mill?

One limitation of grinding MoS2 by a ball mill is that the grinding media can introduce impurities into the material, which can affect its properties. Additionally, the size and shape of the grinding media can impact the final particle size distribution of the MoS2.

5. How do you determine the optimal grinding conditions for MoS2 using a ball mill?

The optimal grinding conditions for MoS2 using a ball mill can be determined through experimentation and optimization. Factors such as grinding media type and size, mill speed, and grinding time can all be adjusted to achieve the desired particle size and material properties.

Back