Continuous Functions, Closed Sets

In summary: So, in summary, we can show that the set A is closed by showing that the function F defined as F(f)=\int_0^1 tf^2(t)dt is continuous and that A is the preimage of a closed set ([3,\infty)) under this function. This is because if we can show that F is continuous, then it follows that A is closed since [3,\infty) is closed. Using sequences, we can show that F is uniformly continuous, and therefore continuous, and thus A is closed.
PingPong

Homework Statement

A mapping f from a metric space X to another metric space Y is continuous if and only if [itex]f^{-1}(V)[/itex] is closed (open) for every closed (open) V in Y.

Use this and the metric space (X,d), where X=C[0,1] (continuous functions on the interval [0,1]) with the metric [itex]d(f,g)=\sup _{x\in[0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|[/itex] to show that the set
[tex]A=\left\{f\in C[0,1]:\int_0^1 tf^2(t)dt\ge 3\right\}[/tex]

is closed.

Homework Equations

None other than the theorem given.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step is to define a function from C[0,1] to R by choosing the easiest function, [itex]F(f)=\int_0^1 tf^2(t)dt[/itex]. If I can show that this is continuous, then it follows that [itex]\left\{f\in C[0,1]:\int_0^1 t f^2(t)dt\ge 3\right\}[/itex] is closed since [itex][3,\infty)[/itex] is closed. That is, A is closed.

So, starting from the definition of a continuous function, I have:
[tex]|F(f)-F(g)|=\left|\int_0^1 t\left(f^2(t)-g^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1\left|t\left(f^2(t)-g^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1 |f^2(t)-g^2(t)|dt=\int_0^1 |f(t)-g(t)||f(t)+g(t)|dt[/tex]
[tex]\le \int_0^1 d(f,g)|f(t)+g(t)|dt=d(f,g)\int_0^1 |f(t)+g(t)|dt<\epsilon[/tex].

My trouble is, I can't get rid of the last part of the integral that has |f+g| without restricting the domain of F. Any suggestions? Also, is my reasoning here fine? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
This may be easier to see using sequences. A useful thing to keep in mind is that convergence w.r.t. d is uniform convergence. Now, if f_n -> f uniformly, can we say that |f_n| -> |f| uniformly, too? How can this help us here? (Note: We also have that f_n+f -> 2f uniformly, since d(f_n+f,2f)=d(f_n,f)->0.)

Okay. Sorry if I seem slow here, but I'm trying to restate what you're saying so that I understand it.

Reinterpreting what I've written with a sequence instead of g, I have

[tex]
|F(f)-F(f_n)|=\left|\int_0^1 t\left(f^2(t)-f_n^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1\left|t\left(f^2(t)-f_n^2(t)\right)\right|dt \le \int_0^1 |f^2(t)-f_n^2(t)|dt=\int_0^1 |f(t)-f_n(t)||f(t)+f_n(t)|dt
[/tex]
[tex]
\le \int_0^1 d(f,f_n)|f(t)+f_n(t)|dt=d(f,f_n)\int_0^1 |f(t)+f_n(t)|dt<\epsilon
[/tex]

Now, [itex]\int_0^1 |f(t)+f_n(t)| dt[/itex] goes to a finite number, so I can pick [itex]\delta=\frac{\epsilon}{\int_0^1 |2(f)| dt}[/itex]. Thus F is uniformly continuous (and hence continuous), and so I can apply the theorem. So A is closed.

This doesn't totally make sense to me, so if what I've done doesn't make sense then that's why.

Thanks again!

Since the sequence of real numbers [itex]\{\int_0^1 |f(t)+f_n(t)| dt\}_n[/itex] converges, it's bounded by some M>0.

Hence, given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], we can find an N such that if n>N then [itex]d(f,f_n) < \epsilon/M[/itex], and consequently, [itex]|F(f) - F(f_n)| \leq d(f,f_n) \cdot M < \epsilon[/itex]. In other words, F(f) -> F(f_n).

Okay, that makes more sense now. I see where you're pulling things from. Thank you!

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that maintains a consistent output for every input within a given interval. This means that there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph of the function, and the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How is continuity defined for a function?

A function is continuous if the limit of the function at a given point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, as the input values get closer and closer to the given point, the output values should also get closer to the value of the function at that point.

3. What are the properties of continuous functions?

Continuous functions have the property of being able to be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided without breaking continuity. They also have the intermediate value theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, it takes on every value between its minimum and maximum values.

4. What is a closed set in mathematics?

A closed set is a subset of a metric space that contains all the limit points of the sequence of points within that set. This means that for every sequence of points within a closed set, the limit point of that sequence is also within the set.

5. How do continuous functions and closed sets relate?

Continuous functions can be used to define closed sets. In particular, a set is closed if and only if its complement is open, and a function is continuous if and only if the inverse image of every open set is open. This means that a continuous function can be used to map open sets to open sets, and therefore can be used to define closed sets.