Boiling Point Mystery for Ethyl Alcohol

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the temperature at which the vapor pressure of ethyl alcohol is 357 mm Hg. There is confusion about the connection between pressure, entropy, and phase transition. It is determined that the problem involves the Clapeyron relation and the enthalpy and entropy changes of the transformation. The person who asked the question will post their calculations later.
rxrocky
Hello everyone!

I've encountered a small problem with one of our "special" assignments.

Question:
The normal boiling point for ethyl alcohol is 78.4 C, S for C2H5OH(g) is 282,7 J/mol*K.
At what temperature is the vapor pressure of ethyl alcohol 357 mm Hg?

Maybe I'm stupid, but I can't find a connection between the pressure and entropy. Or the phase transition. Original I thought it had something to do with Gibbs vs equilibrium, but now I'm even more confused.

I'd love to do the problem myself but I'm in need of a hint/tip :)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only equation that comes to mind at the moment is some type of derivative of the Clayperon equation.

Yes, this is definitely a Clapeyron relation problem. The change in characteristic pressure of a phase transformation with temperature is related to the enthalpy of the transformation. And the enthalpy change is related to the entropy change. Let us know if you get stuck.

Thanks for the help.

I'll post my calculations later today, still not entirley sure I got it right.

What is the boiling point of ethyl alcohol?

The boiling point of ethyl alcohol, also known as ethanol, is 78.37°C or 173.07°F at standard atmospheric pressure.

Why does the boiling point of ethyl alcohol differ from other substances?

The boiling point of a substance is determined by its intermolecular forces, or the attractive forces between molecules. Ethyl alcohol has strong intermolecular forces due to its ability to form hydrogen bonds, which raises its boiling point compared to other substances.

How is the boiling point of ethyl alcohol affected by altitude?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases. This decrease in pressure lowers the boiling point of ethyl alcohol, meaning it will boil at a lower temperature compared to sea level.

What is the significance of the boiling point of ethyl alcohol?

The boiling point of ethyl alcohol is important in various industries, such as the production of alcoholic beverages, pharmaceuticals, and fuel. It is also used in laboratory experiments and as a solvent in many chemical reactions.

Can the boiling point of ethyl alcohol be altered?

The boiling point of ethyl alcohol can be altered by changing the atmospheric pressure or by adding other substances, such as salt, to the solution. However, its boiling point at standard pressure is a constant physical property of the substance.