Exploring Al(111) Surface Adsorption Energies with Dacapo/Python

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the adsorption energies of hydrogen atoms on an Aluminium (111) surface with varying number of atomic layers. They are using Dacapo/python and are wondering if plotting charge density variations can help understand the relationship between number of layers and adsorption energy. Another individual suggests that there may be oscillations in surface energy and therefore in adsorption energy due to higher fraction of occupied "surface-states" compared to "bulk-states" for 3-6 layers.
Hanlin
Hi.

I'm trying to calculate the adsorption energies at all high symmetry sites on an Aluminium (111) surface (consisting of a few atomic layers). The adsorbates are hydrogen atoms. I make sure that one hydrogen atom per primitive surface cell is adsorbed (i.e. one monolayer of hydrogen atoms is adsorbed onto the surface). Now I'd like to understand how the number of atomic layers (which are all perpendicular to the (111) direction) affect the adsorption energy: will it increase/decrease with an increasing number of atomic layers? Is it possible to understand this by plotting the charge density variations on the surface? I am using Dacapo/python by the way. If you have the answer, could you help me?

Best Regards

Someone who could really use your wisdom.

Technology news on Phys.org
Hanlin,

Have you ever tried plotting surface-energy vs. number of layers. If so you will find that for between 3-6 (depending on the system) that surface energy oscillates with number of layers. This is due to there being a higher fraction of occupied "surface-states" compared to the "bulk-states" My guess is that since surface-energy oscillates so does the absorption energy.

Best Regards

modey3

Hello,

It's great to hear that you are using Dacapo/Python to explore adsorption energies on an Aluminum (111) surface. This is a very interesting and important topic in surface science. To answer your question, the adsorption energy is affected by several factors, including the number of atomic layers and the orientation of the surface. In general, as you increase the number of atomic layers, the adsorption energy may decrease due to the increased distance between the adsorbate and the surface. However, this also depends on the specific adsorbate and surface interaction, so it's important to consider other factors as well.

Using charge density variations on the surface can provide valuable insights into the adsorption energy. You can plot the charge density of the surface with and without the adsorbate to see how it changes and how the adsorbate affects the electronic structure of the surface. This can help you understand the nature of the adsorbate-surface interaction and how it may change with an increasing number of atomic layers.

I would also suggest looking into other techniques, such as density functional theory (DFT), to further investigate the adsorption energies on the (111) surface. DFT calculations can provide more accurate and detailed results compared to empirical methods like Dacapo/Python.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your research. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

1. What is the significance of exploring Al(111) surface adsorption energies?

The Al(111) surface is a commonly studied surface in materials science and surface chemistry due to its high stability and relevance in various industrial applications. The adsorption energies on this surface can provide valuable insights into the interactions between molecules and the surface, which can influence the properties and behavior of materials.

2. What is Dacapo/Python and how does it aid in exploring Al(111) surface adsorption energies?

Dacapo/Python is a software package that combines the Dacapo code, which is used for ab initio molecular dynamics simulations, with the power and flexibility of the Python programming language. It allows for efficient and accurate calculations of adsorption energies on Al(111) surfaces, as well as the exploration of different surface configurations and molecular adsorbates.

3. How does the adsorption energy on Al(111) surfaces affect material properties?

The adsorption energy on Al(111) surfaces can influence various material properties, such as reactivity, catalytic activity, and surface morphology. A high adsorption energy indicates a strong interaction between the molecule and the surface, which can lead to changes in surface chemistry and physical properties. Understanding these effects is crucial for designing and optimizing materials for specific applications.

4. What are the main challenges in exploring Al(111) surface adsorption energies with Dacapo/Python?

One of the main challenges is the accurate representation of the Al(111) surface and the adsorbed molecules. This requires careful selection of the simulation parameters and appropriate models for the interactions between the atoms. Additionally, the large computational cost of these simulations can also be a challenge, especially when exploring multiple surface configurations or adsorbates.

5. What are some potential applications of the insights gained from exploring Al(111) surface adsorption energies?

The insights gained from these studies can have various applications in fields such as catalysis, surface science, and materials engineering. For example, understanding the adsorption energies on Al(111) surfaces can aid in designing more efficient catalysts, predicting the behavior of molecules on surfaces, and optimizing the properties of materials for specific surface interactions.