Write the permutation and combination formulas using latex

In summary, the conversation discusses writing permutation and combination formulas using LaTeX. Different notations are mentioned, such as n_P_r and n choose r or ^nC_r. The conversation also includes a link to a formula and suggests using _nC_r and _nP_r as alternatives. The conversation ends with a question about the person's expertise in permutations and combinations.
temaire
How do you write the permutation and combination formulas using latex. This is the best I can do:

[tex]n_P_r=\frac{n!}{(n-r)!}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like this: [tex]n \choose r[/tex] or [tex]^n\mathrm{C}_r[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I meant, but I am used to writing down like this:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7682/formula2nj1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, how about this then: [tex]_n\mathrm{C}_r \hskip5mm _n\mathrm{P}_r[/tex]

Thanks, that's what I needed.:smile:

Out of curiosity, are you good at perms. and combs.? Because I have a question on the the Precalc. forum that hasn't been answered yet. If not, it's ok, because I can wait.

Question 1: What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations are arrangements where the order matters, while combinations are selections where the order does not matter.

Question 2: How do you write the permutation formula using LaTeX?

The permutation formula is written as nPr = $\frac{n!}{(n-r)!}$, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

Question 3: How do you write the combination formula using LaTeX?

The combination formula is written as nCr = $\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}$, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

Question 4: Can the permutation and combination formulas be used for real-life situations?

Yes, the permutation and combination formulas can be used to solve real-life problems such as counting the number of possible outcomes in a game or the number of ways to arrange a group of people in a line.

Question 5: Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving permutation and combination problems?

Yes, there are several shortcuts and tricks such as using factorial notation, using the "n choose r" notation for combinations, and using the multiplication and addition principles for counting. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and formulas, but these shortcuts can make solving problems faster and easier.