Problems with def. integrals/fundamental theorem

• Thread starter myanmar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: But to take the integral, you can use the substitution u = tan(x), which will turn the integral into a simple polynomial.
myanmar
1. Find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/tex] if [tex]\int^{3x}_{1} \frac{1}{t^{2}+t+1}\,dt[/tex]

I expect that I'd make [tex]u=3x[/tex], then [tex]du=3dx[/tex]. I think when I differentiate, I'd end up with [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{3t^{2}+3t+3}[/tex]. I think that [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/tex] would just be the derivative of [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

2. Find and classify the relative maxima and minima of [tex]f(x)[/tex], if
f(x) = [tex]\int^x_0 \frac{t^{2}-{4}}{{1}+{cos}^{2}{t}}\,dt[/tex]

I think to find max and min, I just need to find the second derivative and solve for zero right? Is the first derivative [tex]\frac{x^{2}-{4}}{{1}+{cos}^{2}{x}}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that y is the integral expression in #1, then I guess you could use substitution, but it'd be easier just to apply the chain rule. But either way, you need to substitute u = 3x in place of t so dy/dx should be [1/(9x^2 + 3x +1)] * 3. I think it's a lot less confusing if you applied the FTC (remember the parameter t should disappear) by substituting 3x in place of t and then applied the chain rule to the upper limit of integration.

The second derivative is then just the derivative of 3/(9x^2 + 3x +1), which is easy.

For #2, you applied the FTC correctly but your subsequent reasoning is a bit flawed. To find the relative min and max, you need to find the zeros of f'(x), which you determined correctly. You could use the second derivative test to verify whether each critical point (zeros of f'(x)) is a relative max or min (or neither). Suppose x = a is a zero of f'(x). If f''(a) < 0, then f(x) has a relative max at x = a and if f''(a) > 0, then f(x) has a relative min at x = a. Of course just looking at sign changes prevents you from having to take the second derivative of f(x).

Last edited:
So I've got the first one now, it's quite easy due to the help I've recieved.

However, on the second one. I have my x values for the extrema, but I can't figure out the y values because I'm not sure how to take the integral of [tex]\frac{t^2-4}{1 + cos^{2}t}[/tex]. I just need to take the def. integral from (0,2) and from (0,-2). Also, I need that integral because I can't figure out how I'd plug in values around 2 and -2 to figure whether they were max/min

myanmar said:
So I've got the first one now, it's quite easy due to the help I've recieved.

However, on the second one. I have my x values for the extrema, but I can't figure out the y values because I'm not sure how to take the integral of [tex]\frac{t^2-4}{1 + cos^{2}t}[/tex]. I just need to take the def. integral from (0,2) and from (0,-2). Also, I need that integral because I can't figure out how I'd plug in values around 2 and -2 to figure whether they were max/min

You don't need to plug values in if you can figure out whether the second derivative is positive or negative at those x values.

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function over an interval can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the endpoints of the interval.

What are some common problems with definite integrals?

Some common problems with definite integrals include improper integrals, where the limits of integration are infinite or the function being integrated is undefined at a certain point within the interval, and integrals with discontinuities, where the function being integrated has a jump or hole within the interval.

How can I solve problems with definite integrals?

To solve problems with definite integrals, you can use properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus, to simplify the function being integrated. You can also use techniques like substitution or integration by parts to solve more complex integrals.

Why is it important to understand problems with definite integrals?

Understanding problems with definite integrals is crucial in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where it is used to calculate important quantities like displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It is also a fundamental concept in mathematics and is essential for solving a wide range of mathematical problems.