Question about continuous function

In summary, a continuous function is a mathematical function with a smooth and unbroken graph, without sudden changes in values. It is determined by the absence of holes or gaps in the graph. A discontinuous function, on the other hand, has breaks or jumps in the graph. A function can be continuous at one point but discontinuous at another. These types of functions are used in various real-life applications, including physics, engineering, and economics.
boombaby

Homework Statement

If f is a continuous mapping of a metric space X into a metric space Y, Let E be any subset of X. How to show, by an example, that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) ([tex]\overline{E}[/tex] is the closure of E) can be a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] ? And is there something wrong with my attempt below?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If E is compact, [tex]\overline{E}[/tex] = E, f(E) is compact, [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] = f(E). Hence, f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex])= [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]
If E is not compact, [tex]\overline{E}[/tex] is closed and hence is compact, if E is bounded in R^{k}. f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) is compact and hence [tex]\overline{f(\overline{E})}[/tex] = f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]).
since f(E) [tex]\subset{f(\overline{E})}[/tex] , [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] [tex]\subset{\overline{f(\oveline{\overline{E}})}} [/tex] = f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]). It is also true that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) [tex]\subset{\overline{f(E)}}[/tex]. Hence f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) = [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]
In both cases, f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) is not a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]

I've no idea of other kind of function that is continuous and with E otherwise defined.
Any hint would be greatly appreciated:)

Physics news on Phys.org
boombaby said:

Homework Statement

If f is a continuous mapping of a metric space X into a metric space Y, Let E be any subset of X. How to show, by an example, that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) ([tex]\overline{E}[/tex] is the closure of E) can be a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] ? And is there something wrong with my attempt below?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If E is compact, [tex]\overline{E}[/tex] = E, f(E) is compact, [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] = f(E). Hence, f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex])= [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]
If E is not compact, [tex]\overline{E}[/tex] is closed and hence is compact, if E is bounded in R^{k}. f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) is compact and hence [tex]\overline{f(\overline{E})}[/tex] = f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]).
since f(E) [tex]\subset{f(\overline{E})}[/tex] , [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] [tex]\subset{\overline{f(\oveline{\overline{E}})}} [/tex] = f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]). It is also true that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) [tex]\subset{\overline{f(E)}}[/tex]. Hence f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) = [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]
In both cases, f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) is not a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex]

I've no idea of other kind of function that is continuous and with E otherwise defined.
Any hint would be greatly appreciated:)
?? The problem was to show that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) can be a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] and you have given two examples where that is NOT true. What's "wrong with that" is that you haven't answered the question!

HallsofIvy said:
?? The problem was to show that f([tex]\overline{E}[/tex]) can be a proper subset of [tex]\overline{f(E)}[/tex] and you have given two examples where that is NOT true. What's "wrong with that" is that you haven't answered the question!

Exactly. You want an example. There are perfectly fine examples from R->R. You don't need anything exotic. Can you find one? Hint, think about what happens if f has a horizontal asymptote.

to HallsofIvy,
I gave those two examples because I could not find a disired example :(

to Dick,
O I think I get it now...Let E=[1,[tex]\infty[/tex]), f(x)=1/x and everything is done...it is strange that I didn't get it...

Thanks a lot to all :)

boombaby said:
to HallsofIvy,
I gave those two examples because I could not find a disired example :(

to Dick,
O I think I get it now...Let E=[1,[tex]\infty[/tex]), f(x)=1/x and everything is done...it is strange that I didn't get it...

Thanks a lot to all :)

Not too strange. You were only thinking of bounded sets. This is called "thinking in the box". You're welcome.

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has a smooth and unbroken graph, meaning that there are no sudden or abrupt changes in the values of the function. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if its graph is unbroken and there are no holes or gaps in the graph. This means that the values of the function at any given point can be determined without any sudden jumps or breaks in the graph.

3. What is the difference between a continuous function and a discontinuous function?

A continuous function has a smooth and unbroken graph, while a discontinuous function has a graph with holes, gaps, or jumps. This means that a discontinuous function is not considered to be a smooth and continuous line.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point but discontinuous at another point?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point but discontinuous at another point. This means that the function may have a smooth and unbroken graph overall, but there may be a single point where the graph has a sudden jump or break.

5. How are continuous functions used in real life?

Continuous functions are used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of objects, determine the flow of fluids, and analyze cost and revenue functions in business.