Finding Mass from Charge and Gravitational Attraction

In summary, two particles with equal mass have charges of 1.0uC and 1.0nC, respectively. To determine the mass needed for their mutual gravitational attraction to overcome their Coulomb repulsion, we can use the equations F = kQ1Q2/r^2 and F = G(mass1)(mass2)/d^2. The values of u and n represent powers of 10, with u representing micro and n representing nano.
ibaraku

Homework Statement

Two particles with equal mass have charges 1.0uC and 1.0nC, respectively. What must be their mass if their mutual gravitational attraction is to overcome their Coulomb repulsion?

Homework Equations

F = kQ1Q2/r^2

and maybe

n = Mbody/M

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought I could use the first formula, where k = 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2, Q1 = 1uC and Q2 = 1nC
but then i realized that
1) I don't have the distance and
2) I have no clue what the values of "u" and "n" are.

So then I thought, to use the second since I DO need the mass, but I do not know thw values of n and M.

I am lost, any help is much appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what are you referring to with
n = Mbody/M?

There are two kinds of force equations you need
describing
(1) gravitational attraction
(2) electrostatic attraction

you have the second one, ie coulombs law...
what is the equation for gravitational attraction?
ie... F=...

when you get that, you can equate the equations to see what masses you need to overcome the electrostatic repulsion

oh also, the "u" and "n" denote powers of 10
just like cm = 10^-2 and mm = 10^-3
google for these values, you should learn them, they will help for all your science classes

johnj7 said:
First, what are you referring to with
n = Mbody/M?
I was going through my book, and saw this formula to obtain the number of water molecules in an object, I thought it could be helpful since mass is involved

There are two kinds of force equations you need
describing
(1) gravitational attraction
(2) electrostatic attraction

you have the second one, ie coulombs law...
what is the equation for gravitational attraction?
ie... F=...

I see, you are talking about
F=G(mass1)(mass2)/d^2

when you get that, you can equate the equations to see what masses you need to overcome the electrostatic repulsion

oh also, the "u" and "n" denote powers of 10
just like cm = 10^-2 and mm = 10^-3
google for these values, you should learn them, they will help for all your science classes

I am still a bit confused about this,
how many power of 10 does "u" represent?
and "n"?

Thanks for your help, I took physics about 2 years ago and I am having problems with this class

here you go, this should help
http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/prefix.htm

u = micro
n = nano

Last edited by a moderator:
Often, "u" is used to represent the Greek letter mu when you are limited to standard keyboard text characters. So micrometers are written um, microcoulombs are written uC, etc.

edit: johnj7 beat me to it

johnj7 said:
here you go, this should help
http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/prefix.htm

u = micro
n = nano

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy an object possesses. It can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of coulombs (C).

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object in which a force is exerted on other charged particles. It is represented by lines of force and its strength is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. It is also equal to the product of the charge and the electric field intensity at a given point.

What is the relationship between charge and electric field?

Charge and electric field are directly related. A charged object creates an electric field around it, and the strength of the field depends on the amount of charge. Similarly, a charged particle placed in an electric field will experience a force due to its charge.

How can electric fields be manipulated?

Electric fields can be manipulated by changing the amount and distribution of charge in a given area. This can be done through the use of conductors, insulators, and devices such as capacitors. Additionally, the shape and distance between charged objects can also affect the strength of an electric field.