Calculating Final Velocities in a 2-Dimensional Elastic Collision

In summary, the problem involves two pucks colliding with different masses and angles, with one initially at rest. Using the equations for momentum and energy conservation, the final velocities of both pucks can be determined by breaking up the initial and final momentum into x and y components and solving for the unknown velocities. Additional help and guidance may be needed to fully understand and solve the problem.
lpcampbe

Homework Statement

Puck A has a mass of 0.236 kg and is moving along the x-axis with a velocity of 5.56 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.472 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing. Find the final speed of puck A and puck B.
After the collision puck A has an angle of 65 degrees (in quadrant 2) and puck B has an angle of 37 degrees (in quadrant 3).

Homework Equations

m1vi1 + m2vi2 = m1vf1 + m2vf2
1/2m1vi1^2 + 1/2m2vi2^2 = 1/2m1vf1^2 + 1/2m2vf2^2
A * B = ABcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to solve for two final velocities, and I know the initial velocity of puck B is 0. After that, I don't really know where to go with the equations that I have.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you've tried, but you need to break up the initial and final momentum into x and y components. Then you need to sum them up in each direction to get equations for what you need.

it's okay hage567, i had lecture today and my professor just went over the material on the homework that was due yesterday, so. this should be an interesting semester... looks like I'm going to go to the help room a lot.

1. How is a 2-dimensional elastic collision defined?

A 2-dimensional elastic collision is defined as a collision between two objects in a two-dimensional plane where both conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are observed.

2. What is the formula for calculating the final velocities of objects in a 2-dimensional elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the final velocities in a 2-dimensional elastic collision is:
v1f = (m1-m2)v1i + 2m2v2i / (m1+m2)
v2f = (m2-m1)v2i + 2m1v1i / (m1+m2)

3. What is the difference between a 2-dimensional elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In a 2-dimensional elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. What is the role of the coefficient of restitution in a 2-dimensional elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In a 2-dimensional elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, indicating a perfectly elastic collision.

5. How does the angle of collision affect the final velocities in a 2-dimensional elastic collision?

The angle of collision affects the final velocities by changing the direction of the objects' motion. The final velocities will be parallel to the angle of collision, with the angle of reflection equal to the angle of incidence. However, the magnitude of the final velocities will still follow the same formula as in a head-on collision.