Simple question regarding higher frequency vs lower frequency

• Thread starter Doc Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, you can solve for the frequency of the forced oscillations by taking a square root of the amplitude.
Doc Z

Homework Statement

Damping is negligible for a 0.145 kg object hanging from a light 6.30 N/m spring. A sinusoidal force with an amplitude of 1.70 N drives the system. At what frequency will the force make the object vibrate with an amplitude of 0.440 m?

Homework Equations

I don't know how to put formulas in here but basically find out the initial omega value, then plug it into the forced oscillations amplitude equation to get the angular frequency. Then use the frequency formula to get your frequency.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the problem!

The question asks me for 2 solutions -- higher frequency and lower frequency.

I obtained the higher frequency given the equations above and it is indeed the correct answer. That answer is 1.33 Hz.

Now how do I get the lower frequency? It's not -1.33 if anyone is wondering.

Thanks for the help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Doc Z.

It's been a while since I solved this type of problem. But I remember that the amplitude equation involves frequency terms that are squared.

When you worked through your solution, you probably took a square root at some point. Did you consider the negative square root as well?

Sorry for the late response, for some reason I didn't get an email when I receive a reply to a thread.

Thank you very much! It was just a stupid mistake on my part, I completely forgot about the negative sign.

Doc Z said:
... for some reason I didn't get an email when I receive a reply to a thread.

Yeah, that happens sometimes. It seems to be a bug in the system.

If you click on "My PF" at the top left of the page, you'll see a list of recent replies in threads you are subscribed to. I have abandoned email notification in favor of this other way of checking for recent replies.

Glad the HW problem worked out.

1. What is the difference between higher and lower frequency?

The difference between higher and lower frequency is the number of waves that occur in a given amount of time. Higher frequency refers to more waves occurring in a shorter amount of time, while lower frequency refers to fewer waves occurring in a longer amount of time.

2. How does frequency affect sound and light?

In terms of sound, higher frequency results in a higher pitch, while lower frequency results in a lower pitch. In terms of light, higher frequency results in a higher energy and shorter wavelength, while lower frequency results in a lower energy and longer wavelength.

3. Which frequencies are harmful to humans?

Frequencies above 20,000 Hz (ultrasound) and below 20 Hz (infrasound) are generally considered harmful to humans. Ultrasound can cause hearing damage and infrasound can cause physical discomfort and disorientation.

4. What are some common sources of high and low frequency waves?

Common sources of high frequency waves include radio and microwave signals, visible light, and x-rays. Common sources of low frequency waves include radio waves used for long distance communication, sound waves, and infrared and ultraviolet light.

5. How does frequency relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is a range of frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. Higher frequency waves, such as x-rays and gamma rays, have shorter wavelengths and higher energies, while lower frequency waves, such as radio waves, have longer wavelengths and lower energies.