Acceleration due to Gravity: calculate initial velocity

In summary, the pole vaulter travels a total of 4.0 m up and over the bar, and then another 4.0 m back to the ground, taking a total of 1.81 seconds. The velocity with which she left the ground can be calculated by considering the vertical displacement and time of the journey, rather than using a specific equation. The overall displacement is 0, so the initial vertical velocity must also be 0. This is different from the answer given in the textbook, which may be due to an error in the given equation.
Archedcutie
1. Homework Statement

A Pole vaulter leaves the ground to travel 4.0 m up and over the bar, and then another 4.0 m back to the ground. It takes 1.81 s for the whole trip. Caculate the velocity with which she left the ground.

2. Homework Equations

Well the equation I used which I saw in my textbook was, v1[initial speed] = d-1/2[g][t]^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I subbed it in as v1= 8m- 1/2 [9.8N/kg][1.81s]^2
and I didn't get 8.8m/s [up] like the answer at the back of the textbook :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I think 8m in the equation is wrong. How I read the problem is she travel up (y) 4 m, and then down 4 m, so the d = 4m. maybe that is it? I am not too sure, but maybe it's worth a try.

Hi,

if you forget 'THE equation' approach and think back to first principles.

The whole journey takes 1.81 s.

How long will the up part of the journey take?

The vaulter starts at a speed v, vertically.

At the peak of the vault what is their vertical speed?

now, you should be able to work it out as you have end speed, acceleration, distance and time!Cheers

on the aimslin22 front:

they travel up 4m and down 4m - so their overall displacement (Not distance) is...

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is the acceleration experienced by an object when it falls freely towards the surface of a celestial body, such as Earth. It is a constant value that is approximately equal to 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the celestial body.

3. How does initial velocity affect the calculation of acceleration due to gravity?

The initial velocity of an object does not affect the calculation of acceleration due to gravity. This is because acceleration due to gravity is a constant value and does not depend on the initial velocity of the object.

4. Can acceleration due to gravity be negative?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of the gravitational force, such as when it is thrown upwards. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity would be denoted as -g.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity vary on different celestial bodies?

The acceleration due to gravity varies on different celestial bodies based on their mass and radius. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is approximately 1.6 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 m/s^2. This is because these bodies have different masses and radii compared to Earth.