Double Integral Help - Solve Analytically

In summary: I'm using \vec{A} to represent the solid angle and \Omega to represent the sphere. d \Omega=4 \pi\cos(\theta) d \theta d\phi.
madeinmsia
can someone please give me some help on this integral. it should be solvable analytically.

[tex]\int^{1}_{-1}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{2+x+\sqrt{1-x^2}cos(y)+\sqrt{1-x^2}sin(y)}dxdy[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
This one might be easier to work in polar coordinates:
x = r*cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
y = r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
dxdy = rdrd[tex]\theta[/tex]

You'd want to change the limits of integration, also, to represent the rectangle R={(x,y): 0 <= x <= 2 [tex]\pi[/tex], -1 <= y <= 1} in its polar form.

I haven't worked this problem, but that's what I would try.

i don't think the integral is in cartesian coordinates. x ranges from (-1,1) and y from (0,2pi). I'm not sure what this coordinate system is called, but it's different. so ur suggestion wouldn't work.

It's ***definitely*** in Cartesian coordinates, as evidenced by dx and dy. The fact that y ranges from 0 to 2pi has nothing to do with whether this is or isn't in Cartesian coordinates.

sorry, i did a variable change because i tried to save time by just using x and y instead of greek symbols mu and gamma.

i hope that clears it up that they are not cartesian coordinates.

No, it does not.

You can start with a double integral over a closed and bounded region R and get this integral:
[tex]\int \int [/tex] f(x, y) dA
The Cartesian iterated integral has the form [tex]\int \int [/tex] f(x, y) dx dy.
The polar iterated integral has the form [tex]\int \int [/tex] f(r, [tex]\theta[/tex]) r dr d[tex]\theta[/tex].

It doesn't matter if you use mu and gamma instead of x and y, it's still Cartesian.

Do you really have to solve this by hand, analytically? If you are allowed to use Mathematica, I would definitely consider it...anyways, I haven't solved this by hand but if you choose to do so, you will have to do the y-integral first (unless you can find a useful change of variables)...Mathematica's solution for the y-integral involves Cos(y/2) and Sin(y/2) terms, so using the double angle formula might help you.

I may be able to come up with something more useful if you show me the original problem; there may be a way to avoid this particular integral altogether.

Mark44 said:
No, it does not.

You can start with a double integral over a closed and bounded region R and get this integral:
[tex]\int \int [/tex] f(x, y) dA
The Cartesian iterated integral has the form [tex]\int \int [/tex] f(x, y) dx dy.
The polar iterated integral has the form [tex]\int \int [/tex] f(r, [tex]\theta[/tex]) r dr d[tex]\theta[/tex].

It doesn't matter if you use mu and gamma instead of x and y, it's still Cartesian.

There is no way to determine the nature of the Co-ordinate system from the given integral...for example, what if your [itex]f(r,\theta)=g(r,\theta)/r[/itex]? then the integral looks like [itex]\int g(r,\theta)dr d \theta[/itex] and a simple renaming of r to x and theta to y could make it look like the given integral.

That being said, I would guess based on the form of the integrand that if this integral represents some sort of physical application; it is given in curvilinear coordinates. In either case, it is unimportant since the integrand is a scalar for this problem.

the original integral was [tex]\int_{4\pi}\frac{1}{1+A.\Omega}d\Omega[/tex] where A is a vector and [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the solid angle.

madeinmsia said:
the original integral was [tex]\int_{4\pi}\frac{1}{1+A.\Omega}d\Omega[/tex] where A is a vector and [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the solid angle.

What is the vector [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]? And what surface is [tex]\Omega[/tex] the solid A angle of (sphere, cone...etc)?

to make it simple, vector A = (1,2,3) in the cartesian coordinates and it is the solid angle over a sphere. I'm pretty sure there's a way to simplify this. I've tried multiplying top and bottom by 1+A.Omega and then separating them into two integrals. One is an even function and one is an odd function. So the odd function drops to zero and I am left with:

[tex]2.\int_{A.\Omega}\frac{1}{1-(A.\Omega)^2}d\Omega[/tex]

i'm not sure if i made it worst!

Last edited:
Usually, the solid angle for a sphere is just the scalar quantity [itex]\Omega=4 \pi[/itex] and [itex] d \Omega= sin(\theta) d \theta d\phi[/itex] in the usual spherical coordinates... Perhaps you'd better explain to me what expressions you are using, and how you are taking he dot product of a vector with a scalar?

oh ok. [tex]\Omega = (\mu,\sqrt{1-\mu^2}cos(\gamma),\sqrt{1-\mu^2}sin(\gamma))[/tex] in the Cartesian coordinate.

hmmm...I've never seen the solid angle expressed as a vector before.. what are [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] and what expression are you using for [itex]d \Omega[/itex]?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is represented by two integral signs and is used to find the area of a two-dimensional shape on a plane.

2. How is a double integral solved analytically?

A double integral can be solved analytically by breaking it down into two single integrals, one for each variable, and then solving each integral separately. The resulting values are then multiplied together to find the final solution.

3. What is the purpose of a double integral?

The purpose of a double integral is to calculate the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is also used to find the area of a two-dimensional shape on a plane.

4. What are some common applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate volumes, areas, and probability densities. They are also used in image processing, where they can be used to calculate the average brightness or color of an image.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integrals?

One limitation of double integrals is that they can be difficult to solve for complex functions. In some cases, the integrals may not have a closed-form solution and must be approximated using numerical methods. Another limitation is that double integrals can only be used for continuous functions and cannot be applied to discontinuous or undefined functions.