Need to determine distance maximizing angle theta.

In summary, to determine the distance X for maximizing viewing angle, you need to find an equation with theta as a function of x. Using the cotangent of alpha and the tangent of the larger angle, you can find theta as a function of x by setting the derivative of theta with respect to x equal to 0.
Hellsing834

Homework Statement

A movie screen at the front of a room is 9 feet above the ground and 16 feet tall. Determine the distance X you must sit away from the screen in order to maximize your viewing angle.

[ I tried to make the picture :P. I need to find X]

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/2781/probwk6.png The little fish thing is i believe alpha...i don't know the Greek name for that.

Homework Equations

Well i figured that i need to do the tangent of both triangles and set them equal to each other, but i am confused if i need to take into account the second triangle for tan of theta.

I am comming up empty handed, and what i got was 25/tan[theta] but i don't think its right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
help...anyone? i kinda need desperate help :P

Good drawing! And, yes, that Greek letter is alpha.

What you need is an equation with theta as a function of x.

First, let's take care of alpha: cot(alpha) = x/9, so alpha = cot^(-1)(x/9).

Next, let's get a relationship between the larger angle and x.

tan(theta + alpha) = 25/x
so theta + alpha = tan^(-1)(25/x)

But we already have alpha, so you should be able to get theta as a function of x; i.e., theta = f(x).

Now, do the usual and find d(theta)/dx and set it equal to 0.

Does that get you started?

1. What is the "distance maximizing angle theta"?

The distance maximizing angle theta refers to the angle at which an object should be launched or thrown in order to achieve the maximum distance. It is the angle that results in the farthest horizontal displacement for a given initial velocity.

2. How is the distance maximizing angle theta determined?

The distance maximizing angle theta is determined through mathematical calculations and experimentation. It involves using equations and principles of physics, such as projectile motion, to determine the ideal angle for maximum distance.

3. Why is it important to determine the distance maximizing angle theta?

Determining the distance maximizing angle theta is important in various fields of science and engineering where the trajectory and range of objects need to be optimized. This knowledge can be applied in sports, transportation, and other industries to improve efficiency and performance.

4. What factors can affect the distance maximizing angle theta?

The distance maximizing angle theta can be affected by factors such as air resistance, initial velocity, and the surface of the launch or throw. These factors can alter the trajectory and ultimately impact the maximum distance achieved.

5. Can the distance maximizing angle theta be different for different objects?

Yes, the distance maximizing angle theta can vary for different objects depending on their mass, shape, and other physical characteristics. This is why it is important to determine the specific angle for each object in order to achieve the maximum distance.