Find the eigenvalues and a basis of each eigenspace

I know, it sounds like I am splitting hairs, but it is important. An eigenspace is a SUBSPACE, not a set or a vector.) So, the eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue -4 is 1D, and the eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue 0 is 2D. Or, you can say that the -4 eigenspace is a 1D subspace of \mathbb{R}^3 while the 0 eigenspace is a 2D subspace of \mathbb{R}^3In summary, The matrix A has two real eigenvalues, one of multiplicity 1 and one of multiplicity 2. The
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

Matrix A is
-4 4 4
-4 4 4
4 -4 -4

It has two real eigenvalues, one of multiplicity 1 and one of multiplicity 2. Find the eigenvalues and a basis of each eigenspace.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the eigenvalues:
the one of multiplicity 1 is -4
the one of multiplicity 2 is 0

I can also get the eigenvectors for both:
for -4 : [1 1 -1]^T
for 0: [2 1 1]^T

But... I don't know where to go from here. At all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, when you diagonalize a matrix you get [itex]D=P^{-1}MP \Rightarrow M=PDP^{-1}[/itex] not just [itex]M = D[/itex]. This means that

[tex]M^n=(PDP^{-1})^n=(PDP^{-1}) \cdot (PDP^{-1}) \cdot (PDP^{-1}) \ldots (PDP^{-1})=PD(P^{-1}P)D(P^{-1}P)\ldots DP^{-1}=PD^nP^{-1}[/tex]

So, while you have correctly calculated [itex]D^n[/itex], you forgot to multiply it by [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]P^{-1}[/itex] to get [itex]M^n[/itex].

Edit-this was in reply to the original question ;0)

Melawrghk said:
I can also get the eigenvectors for both:
for -4 : [1 1 -1]^T
for 0: [2 1 1]^T

Your second eigenvector is incorrect. You should also be looking for two (generalized) eigenvectors for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] since that eigenvalue has multiplicity of 2.

Your first eigenvector [itex]x[/itex] will be given by [itex](A-\lambda I)x=0[/itex] but(!) your second one will not. Your matrix A is degenerate, and so you need to look for generalized eigenvectors. In this case, since [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] has multiplicity two, its eigenvectors are given by [itex](A-\lambda I)x=Ax=0[/itex] and [itex](A-\lambda I)^2x=A^2x=0[/itex].

edit: oh okay, so the eigenvectors for 0 are:
(1, 1, 0)
(1, 0, 1) ?

Yup!:smile:

Sweet, how do I get eigenspaces though? To be honest, I'm not even sure what they are...

wikipedia said:
An eigenspace of a given transformation for a particular eigenvalue is the set (linear span) of the eigenvectors associated to this eigenvalue, together with the zero vector (which has no direction).

So, what is the eigenspace of the [itex]\lambda=-4[/itex] eigenvalue? How about the [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] eigenvalue.

You already have two eigenvectors for the space of eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalue 0, <1,1,0> and <1, 0,1>. Since those are not multiples of one another, they are independent. Two independent vectors in a space of dimension 2? What does that tell you about a basis?

So... For eigenvalue -4, the eigenspace would just be the eigenvector? Like [-1, 1, 1]?

And for the 0, it'd be:
[1 1]
[1 0]
[0 1]?

For the -4, the eigenspace is just <1,1,-1>.

And for the eigenvalue zero, the eigenspace is {<1,1,0>,<1,0,1>} (that is the set of the two vectors)

Clearly, the eigenspace of the -4 eigenvalue is 1D, while the eigenspace of the eigenvalue zero is 2D

No, no, no! An eigenspace is never a single vector. The eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue -4 is the subspace spanned by {<1, 1, -1>} or having that set as basis.

Similarly, the eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue 0 is NOT "{<1, 1, 0>, <1, 0, 1>}, it is the subspace spanned by that set or having that set as basis.

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenspaces?

Eigenvalues are the values that satisfy the characteristic equation of a square matrix. Eigenspaces are the corresponding vector spaces of the eigenvalues.

2. How do you find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation of the matrix. This can be done by finding the determinant of the matrix and setting it equal to zero.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenspaces?

Eigenvalues and eigenspaces are important in understanding the behavior of linear transformations and systems of differential equations. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. How do you find the basis of an eigenspace?

To find the basis of an eigenspace, you need to find the eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue. These eigenvectors will form a basis for the eigenspace.

5. Can a matrix have repeated eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have repeated eigenvalues. In this case, the corresponding eigenspace will have a dimension greater than 1.