Solving for f '(x) using the chain rule

In summary, to solve for f'(x) for the given function f(x)= x^2(x-2)^4, the product rule must be applied since f(x) is the product of x^2 and (x-2)^4. This will result in f'(x) = x^2[4(x-2)^3(1)] + (x-2)^4(2x). To simplify this, factor out a 2x(x-2)^3, giving f'(x) = 2x(x-2)^3[2x+(x-2)]. Another example using the product rule is f(x) = x(3x-7)^3, which results in f'(x)
msc8127

Homework Statement

f(x)= x^2(x-2)^4 solve for f '(x)

Homework Equations

f(x) = x^2(x-2)^4

The Attempt at a Solution

4x^2(x-2)^3

The answer is given in the book as 2x(x-2)^3(3x-2)

i'm not following any progression that gets me to that solution regardless of how many times I work through it.

If someone could give me a step by step on this on I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
SC

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to use the product rule since f(x) is the product of x^2 and (x-2)^4.

If you have a function of two products:
f(x)=g(x)h(x) where g and h are two functions with respect to x, you have to use the product rule so,
f '(x)= g(x)h'(x) + h(x)g'(x)
can you apply this to your function f(x)?
(in your case, g(x)=x^2 and h(x)=(x-2)^4 but it could be the other way round too)

ok, if I'm using the product rule correctly, that takes me to:

x^2[4(x-2)^3(1)] + (x-2)^4(2x)

for some reason I'm still not seeing how that will go to 2x(x-2)^3(3x-2) for a final solution

Thanks for the help!

sara's reply wasn't showing when I posted my last reply...let me work on it some more from what she posted and see if I can get anywhere yet.

Thanks

msc8127 said:
ok, if I'm using the product rule correctly, that takes me to:

x^2[4(x-2)^3(1)] + (x-2)^4(2x)

for some reason I'm still not seeing how that will go to 2x(x-2)^3(3x-2) for a final solution

Thanks for the help!

Your solution is correct, to get it into the same form as the one in your answer key, factor out a [itex]2x(x-2)^3[/itex], that gives [itex]2x(x-2)^3[2x+(x-2)][/itex] then just simplify [itex][2x+(x-2)][/itex]

gotta love how algebra mistakes cause more errors than actual cal fundamentals.

I was out of school many years, in fact the last math class I had was college algebra in 2001. So, I'm really struggling with stuff that isn't all that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you both for being patient and helping me out!

ok, one more problem here that I've tried to work. I think I'm ok on it except for the factoring out in the last step.

the given problem is f(x)= x(3x-7)^3

I got f '(x) = x[3(3x-7)^2] + (1)(3x-7)^3 via the product rule.

after attempting to factor I ended up with f '(x) = (6x-7)(3x-7)^2, which I don't think is correctly factored.

I think you made a small mistake, when you take (3x-7)^2 as common factor, you should get:
(3x-7)^2(9x+3x-7)=(3x-7)^2(12x+7)

once again, got to love algebra.

Thanks Sara!

:)
U're welcome.

The derivative of 3x-7 is (3x), not just x. You should have;

f '(x) = (3x)[3(3x-7)^2] + (1)(3x-7)^3=(12x-7)(3x-7)^2

i meant -7
sorry. (misprint)

1. What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important in calculus because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is especially useful when dealing with functions that are composed of multiple layers or functions within functions.

3. How do you apply the chain rule in differentiation?

To apply the chain rule, first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function, leaving the inner function unchanged. Next, multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This will give you the derivative of the composite function.

4. Can the chain rule be used for higher order derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for higher order derivatives. In this case, you will need to apply the chain rule multiple times, depending on the number of layers or functions within functions in the composite function.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule?

One common mistake when using the chain rule is forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function. It is important to remember that the derivative of the inner function must also be multiplied by the derivative of the outer function. Another mistake is applying the chain rule incorrectly, such as taking the derivative of the outer function instead of the inner function.