Initial value problems with matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses how to handle matrices and constants when solving a differential equation, specifically when finding the general solution and solving for initial conditions. It is recommended to solve for the general solution first and then find a specific solution for the constants. The general solution for an equation of the form y' - Ay = B is y = De^(At) + A^-1C, with D being an unknown constant matrix.
2RIP
Given y'=[matrix]y + [matrix of constants]. y(0)=[initial conditions] Would I treat the matrix with variation of parameters? Or should I ignore the constants on right hand side and find the general solution. Then when it comes to solving the initial conditions, then do the calculations with it?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you had y' -Ay=B, and y(0)=C ,where A,B,C are known constants, what would you do?...Why not do the same thing with matrices?

Yeah, I supposed I would've just done a separable equation with +B. Then initial condition will also be involved with B. So a constant wouldn't require me to use other methods of solving.

Thanks for explaining in an apprehensive way.

Wait sorry, after trying the question out. How should I treat the matrix of constants from the beginning? I just ignored it and continued calculating for a general solution, then when it was time to calculate for initial conditions, I couldn't reason to where those constants would've come into play.

Perhaps you should show me what your general solution for the question I posted earlier (the one without matrices) is.

I ended up y= (eAt+CA+B)/A where C is the constant to be solved by initial condition.

Hmm... that doesn't look quite right: using that solution, y(0)=(eAC+B)/A...not C...I think you'd better show me your steps.

y'-Ay=B
dy/dt=B+Ay
[tex]\int dy/(B+Ay)[/tex]=[tex]\int dt[/tex]
1/A(ln|B+Ay|)=t+C
B+Ay=eA(t+C)
y=(eA(t+C)-B)/A

Oops, it was -B sorry. I didn't solve for C because you said to solve for general solution? So that would mean only leave it with unidentified constants?

um.. but if I solved for C, then the solution is
y=(eA(t+(ln(B+AC)/A))-B)/A

For any equation of the form Y'= Ay+ C, you can first solve Y'= AY to get Y(t)= DeAt, with D an unknown constant matrix, and then look for a "specific solution" which will be a constant: if Y is a constant then Y'= 0 so AY+ C= 0 and Y= A-1C (assuming A has an inverse).
The general solution to the entire equation is Y= DeAt+ A-1C and you can find D by using the initial condition.

What is an initial value problem with matrices?

An initial value problem with matrices is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a system of equations represented by matrices, based on a set of initial conditions. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-world situations.

What is the difference between a scalar and a matrix in an initial value problem?

A scalar is a single numerical value, while a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers. In an initial value problem, scalars are typically used to represent constants, while matrices are used to represent variables or functions.

How do you solve an initial value problem with matrices?

There are various methods for solving initial value problems with matrices, depending on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy. Some common techniques include using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, or using analytical methods such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.

Why are initial value problems with matrices important in scientific research?

Initial value problems with matrices are important because they allow scientists to model and understand complex systems that cannot be easily solved by traditional algebraic methods. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to make predictions and inform decision-making.

What are some real-world applications of initial value problems with matrices?

Initial value problems with matrices have a wide range of applications in science and engineering. Some examples include predicting the behavior of electric circuits, modeling the spread of infectious diseases, and analyzing the motion of objects in space. They are also used in financial modeling and risk assessment.