Equilibrium Forces on an Aerialist Walking a Tightrope

In summary, an aerialist weighing 720 N is walking on a wire that is 8 meters long while being pulled from the edge by a rope that is 3 meters long. The person is in equilibrium, with the resultant force being 0. Using the equation R = T_w + T_r + W = 0, we can determine that the tension of the wire, T_w, is equal to the magnitude of the tension of the rope, T_r. There are no angles involved in this problem and both the wire and rope are parallel to each other and to the ground. The man is standing on the wire with his feet apart, as shown in the attached diagram.
jonnyboy

Homework Statement

An aerialist is walking a wire of length 8 meters. He is being pulled from the edge with a rope that is 3 m in length. The person weighs 720 N and is in equilibrium. Determine a) the tension of the wire, b) the tension of the rope

Homework Equations

Since the person is in equilibrium, the resulting Force is 0.
The resultant must be the Tension vector of the wire + the tension vector of the rope + the weight vector of person.
(R = T_w + T_r + W = 0)
T_w = T_w(i) + 0(j) <--- i is the x component, and j is the y component
T_r = -T_r(i) + 0(j)
W = 0(i) - 720(j)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this right?, is T_w the same magnitude on both sides?

Attachments

• p1.bmp
    133.4 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any angles involved with this?

I'm not visualizing it from your description.

jonnyboy: Are we missing a diagram that goes with this question? If so, could you describe/explain the diagram, and mention any quantities shown on the diagram? The wire is in a V shape, right? Is the rope parallel to the wire? Where is each end of the rope attached? Is the man standing, with his feet apart?

***I added the attachment with the image; the red arrows show the forces acting on the body. The arrow represents the rope force to the left and has a length of 3 meters and the whole wire is 8 meters long. The rope is parallel to the wire. Both the wire and the rope are on the horizontal sense.

1. What is a static particle with tension?

A static particle with tension refers to a theoretical concept in physics where a particle is at rest but is subject to an internal tension force due to its interaction with its surroundings.

2. How is tension different from other forces?

Tension is a force that acts within a body or system, while other forces such as gravity and electromagnetic forces act on an object from the outside. Tension arises when two or more parts of a system are pulling away from each other, creating an internal force.

3. What causes tension in a static particle?

Tension in a static particle can be caused by a variety of factors, including the shape and structure of the particle, the forces acting on it, and the materials it is made of. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How is tension measured in a static particle?

In order to measure tension in a static particle, scientists often use a device called a tension meter, which measures the amount of force required to pull two ends of a particle in opposite directions. Tension can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the properties of the particle.

5. What are some real-world examples of static particles with tension?

Some common examples of static particles with tension include ropes, cables, and strings. These objects are under tension when they are pulled taut, and the amount of tension in them can affect their strength and stability. Other examples include the tension in the strings of musical instruments and the tension in the muscles and tendons in our bodies.