Article about making physics degree more employable

In summary: While it's certainly silly that some states won't license a person with a BS in physics, and an MS and PhD in engineering, that's how they operate.
cypherscouter
what do you guys think of this?
http://physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=211&page=2

that part where he said that if you want to go into mechanical engineering, you should spend another semester taking mechE classes

the problem I'm having is that, since i go by the quarter/trimester system, and only need 4 classes each to complete my applied math and physics B.S. degrees, i don't really have room to take mechE classes. also, if i were to go into mechE, i would get at least a M.S., so i could always take those mechE classes as a grad student, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cypherscouter said:
that part where he said that if you want to go into mechanical engineering, you should spend another semester taking mechE classes

I didn't get that from the article at all. I would think that if you want to go into mechanical engineering, you should major in mechanical engineering.

Vanadium 50 said:
I didn't get that from the article at all. I would think that if you want to go into mechanical engineering, you should major in mechanical engineering.

Makes the most sense.

Vanadium 50 said:

i meant if one is almost done with college, hence its too late to major in mechanical engineering

If you want to be a mechanical engineer, and haven't taken enough mechanical engineering courses, you're not "almost done with college", are you?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to be a mechanical engineer, and haven't taken enough mechanical engineering courses, you're not "almost done with college", are you?

yes, I'm almost done as i only need 4 more classes to complete the physics major

I think you're missing my point. My point is that you are in college to learn, not to finish on some timetable. If you want to learn mechanical engineering, and need N more classes to get a BSME degree, you need N more classes to get a BSME degree. Whether or not you need fewer than N classes to get some other degree is simply not relevant.

I tend to agree with the OP that another option is to apply to master's programs in mechanical engineering (if the student is resourceful, he/she might find funding for this). at his point, to get PE certification, you need an BS in an accredited engineering program, but I believe it's in the works to eventually (2012?) Allow individuals with a science degree and ~30 credits in MS-level engineering coursework (or the MS degree itself) to apply for the Professional Engineer licensure.

I'd still think that at this point it'd be advisable for the OP to take a few mechanical engineering classes at the BS-level... to give himself/herself a bit of background in the field AND make sure it's really the career path that he/she would like to pursue. Perhaps it's be best to do this and drop one of the majors (applied math & physics) down to a minor.

physics girl phd said:
but I believe it's in the works to eventually (2012?) Allow individuals with a science degree and ~30 credits in MS-level engineering coursework (or the MS degree itself) to apply for the Professional Engineer licensure.

I'm not so sure I'd be willing to risk my career based on a path to licensure "in the works". Furthermore, to study engineering effectively at the graduate level, one needs more or less a BS level equivalent in the engineering specialty anyway.

physics girl phd said:
I'd still think that at this point it'd be advisable for the OP to take a few mechanical engineering classes at the BS-level... to give himself/herself a bit of background in the field AND make sure it's really the career path that he/she would like to pursue. Perhaps it's be best to do this and drop one of the majors (applied math & physics) down to a minor.

what if i only need 4 classes for each major? (we're on the trimester system)
oh, also, my school doesn't even offer a minor in physics

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not so sure I'd be willing to risk my career based on a path to licensure "in the works". Furthermore, to study engineering effectively at the graduate level, one needs more or less a BS level equivalent in the engineering specialty anyway.

You don't necessarily need a B.S. in engineering to become licensed. Also, many engineering departments will let you take remedial undergraduate classes while being enrolled in a masters program.

Brian_C said:
You don't necessarily need a B.S. in engineering to become licensed.

Depends on the state.

While it's certainly silly that some states won't license a person with a BS in physics, and an MS and PhD in engineering, that's how they operate.

1. What is the current job outlook for individuals with a physics degree?

The current job outlook for individuals with a physics degree is quite positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in physics-related occupations is projected to grow 7% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations.

2. How can a physics degree be made more employable?

One way to make a physics degree more employable is to gain practical experience through internships or research opportunities. This will not only build relevant skills, but also make you more marketable to potential employers.

3. What skills do employers look for in candidates with a physics degree?

Employers often look for candidates with strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to analyze data and communicate complex ideas effectively. Additionally, they may value experience with programming languages and software commonly used in the field of physics.

4. Are there any specific industries that actively seek out individuals with a physics degree?

Yes, there are several industries that actively seek out individuals with a physics degree. These include aerospace and defense, energy and utilities, healthcare and medical technology, and technology and telecommunications.

5. What can I do with a physics degree besides pursuing a traditional career in research or academia?

There are many career options available to individuals with a physics degree besides traditional research or academia. Some other potential career paths include data science, engineering, finance, patent law, and science writing or communication. A physics degree provides a strong foundation in critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied to a variety of industries and professions.